cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data lose on db restart when data loaded via loadercli

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I load data from one MAXDB Instance to another vie the loadercli respectively via com.sap.dbtech.powertoys.Loader in a Java application. I use the command:

IMPORT SCHEMA schema DATA INSTREAM FILE filepath

with a datafile I exported before also via this functionallity.

Works fine except for one strange behavior:

Some data is saved in "long varchar" columns for large texts. If I stop and restart the db instance where I loaded the data in, all this large text columns are empty - all other data types are still in there.

If I check the data after import directly without any restart of the db instance, everything seems to be fine and available.

Any Idea how the avoid this lose of data?

Thanks

Thorsten Springhart

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

steffen_schildberg
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Thorsten,

with the command you used the Loader uses the format PAGES for the data to EXPORT/IMPORT (unless you did not post the complete command here and specified another format, for instance RECORDS). If so it is essential to run a backup after successful IMPORT. Otherwise the tables are set read only and inserts will fail and it might happen that some or all data is lost in case of a database failure. The latter is because importing PAGES switches off the database log for the import to speed it up. So shutting down the database without backing up might lead to a data loss.

Regards,

Steffen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks,

the hint with PAGES and RECORDS helped - with the format RECORDS it seems to work.

Best regards

Thorsten

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thorsten,

could you write me which DB and loader version were in use. I suppose the database version on both MaxDB instances was the same, isn't it?

How exactly did you stop the database?

Regards,

Oksana Alekseious