cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning:EINVAL creating segment of size

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello!

I have installed the second SAP system (SOLMAN) on the same Unix-host (Solaris 5.10 sparc) and have problem after stopping of SAP to start the SAP system again.

I get the error from Oralce:

<b>ORA-27102: out of memory

SVR4R Error 22: invalid argument

ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist</b>

I have checked the sga_max_size value in the file init<SID>.ora:

This parameter is set to the value 2.319.282.339

Through further investigations of alert<SID>.log I got the following information:

<b>Warning:EINVAL creating segment of size …

fix shm parameters in /etc/system</b>

After this I edited the file vi /etc/system and added:

<b>set shmmax=4294967295</b>

but nothing is changed.

Can som one help me here?

Thank you very much indeed!

regards

Thom

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Solaris 10 doesn´t use /etc/system any more. You will need to create a project on operating system level and assigne the users:

724713 - parameter settings for Solaris 10

In the project you configured the shared memory sizes, segments etc.

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Marcus!

Thank you very much for your response.

I have already created one project for the first SAP system.

How can I proceed in case of the second SAP system?

- creating the new project

- editing the existing file à how (just adding the users of the second SAP system)?

Is there some possibilities without these effort with project, e.g. just executing the command or editing the config file?

Thank you!

Thom

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Create a new project. The BIG advantage of that, that you can do resource control using projects (e. g. giving more CPU cycles to one project than to another).

Another big advantage of using projects is, that you don't have to change /etc/system globally and reboot the machine.

It's one command you need to execute (prjadd) and one file you need to edit (/etc/user_attr), then you're done

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you very much!

Just as mentioned by Markus I added the second entry of the SAP system, confidured etc/project and /etc/user_attr.

No restart was needed!

regards

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

see please following SAP notes:

743328 - Composite SAP note: ORA-27102

723744 - WARNING: EINVAL creating segment of size

395438 - Parameter settings for Solaris 9 and below

WARNING: EINVAL creating segment of size <size>:

maybe is your SGA?

Former Member
0 Kudos

do you have an access to the SAP Notes:

as mentioned, this note <u><i><b>743328 - Composite SAP note: ORA-27102</b></i></u> is very important. Read it please through.

Former Member
0 Kudos

did you try to set SGA_MAX_SIZE lower? e.g: sga_max_size=1000M (it is better to set it in Mbyte, you see it which value it has)

How are the other memory parameters set? Like db_cache_size, shared_pool_size, pga etc...

You can decrease the relevant memory parameters so that SGA fits into available memory.

sga_max_size should be bigger than the sum of db_cache_size + shared_pool_size.

Check if you have sufficient virtual memory available. Your SGA shouldn't be bigger than available memory.

read please the mentioned SAP notes.

Former Member
0 Kudos

see also following oracle metalink notes:

<b>Database Startup On Solaris 10 Fails With Ora-27102 Out Of Memory Error</b>

Doc ID: Note:399895.1

<b>EINVAL Errors in Alert Log During Startup</b>

Doc ID: Note:151496.1

<b>Creating an Oracle SGA (System Global Area) Larger Than 2 GB fails with shmat</b> Err#22 EINVAL

Doc ID: Note:241057.1

Former Member
0 Kudos

see also this oracle Note for the recommended settings:

<b>Note:169706.1:</b> <i><u>Subject: Oracle Database on AIX,HP-UX,Linux,MacOSX,Solaris,Tru64 Operating Systems Installation and Configuration Requirements Quick Reference (8.0.5 to 10.2)</u></i>

You can get ORA-27102 error message, if the system can't allocate the Oracle SGA in the required size. Maybe your SGA is larger than OS restrictions allow.

Maybe you don't have enough virtual memory, or your SGA is too high, or the swap area of OS is not large enough, etc....That's why you should check the system settings according to the mentioned oracle and sap notes.