cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

merging records - how to handle deleted records?

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi,

can anyone tell me what is the proper way to handle

deleted records during records update ?

let's say I have 2 customers and I merge them into one

so I need to send to transactional systems that the deleted one

should not longer be active - but how to achive that

(sending deletion info) in MDM ?

thank you for your help,

Regards,

michal

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

Try not to delete, but to sign the duplicated record with "to-be-deleted" flag.

Use that flag to inform the backend system that this record should not be active anymore.

Hope this will help

Orit

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

>>>Try not to delete, but to sign the duplicated record with "to-be-deleted" flag.

but can I do it during merging records (automatically- after I accpt the merge) ?

Regards,

michal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michal,

During Syndication, you can send back both the records to transactional system or only merged records as per your requirement.

During sending back the merged(deleted) record to transaction system; send one more field (deleted/not active) to the transactional system.

Please let me know if I am not able to clear your doubt or need more clarification.

- An

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi,

but if I merge records the old one gets removed right ?

so how I send a removed record ?

I'm asking if there a way to merge without deleting the old record

Regards,

michal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michal,

MDM does not delete any records when it merges them. whenever you merge any two records the local id is never lost, it is always present in the edit key mapping.

You can see this info by right clicking on record and select edit key mapping. You will find both the record entries there.

With proper mapping in syndicator, you can get this information for both the records. while mapping map the 'VALUE' field in the source items to the 'LOCAL ID' field in the destination item.

Please let me know if this not help completely and if you have more doubts.

- An

michael_theis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi An,

this is not correct. MDM is deleting the old records during the merge and creates a new record out of them. You can confirm this behavior using Auto ID fields (like it's done in the standard repositories). Assuming you have two records with Auto ID = 1 and Auto ID = 2 in your repository. You merge those records. The new record will have Auto ID = 3, meaning that this is a completely new record.

It is correct that MDM appends the key mapping information. But this is only the case, if key mapping is enabled on the main table and if the records have a key mapping entry before they are merged!

BR Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

I am sorry that I didnt added thisline as I thought its default.

Yes, Key mapping information is only available if if key mapping is enabled. If you have key mapping enabled, then only new record Auto ID = 3 will capture info of both Auto ID = 1 and Auto ID = 2.

It seems in your system you dont have key mapping enabled. If this is the case, You have to create a new field and append both the values (Auto ID = 1 and Auto ID = 2) into it before merging them.

Hope it will help,

- An

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi Michael,

so how can I send info to ERP system that customer is not active any longer

(if it was merger and deleted) ?

Thank you,

Regards,

michal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michal ,

In the customer scenario there is an R/3 field called deletion flag- if this field is created & mapped in MDM(if it not already present in the standard business content) -and the field value is set to 'yes' in MDM before the merge and then the record is merged . Now the info that the customer is to be deleted(archived) in R/3 is succesfully passed.

Like others have mentioned before, only if you explicitly set a field value to deleted & pass that information to R/3 is info passed from MDM.

Regards ,

Anita

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Michel,

One other option is to get these deleted records from change History that logs the deleted records.

If you are using Check in and Check out option you should not consider this option as there will be more deleted records in the change History which cannot be identified.

Thanks,

Madhu