cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I copy contents of /sapmnt/SID/exe locally on the database node?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I have installed ECC 6.0 SR2 on AIX 5.3 and Oracle 10.0.2.0 for the production system. The filesystems /usr/sap/<SID> , /sapmnt/<SID>, /usr/sap/trans are in the storage . Now while starting the database on the database node I need to NFS mount the /sapmnt/<SID>/exe directory into the DB node ( as the FS /sapmnt/SID is owned by the CI node ) as the DB startup requires the startdb script. Can I locally copy the contents of the /sapmnt/<SID>/exe directory(in the storage) locally into the DB node in the /sapmnt/<SID>/exe directory under the root filesystem? Will this create a problem when the SAP VGs switchover to the DB node on failure of the SAP application primary node?

My HACMP cluster is working fine, but cannot automate the application startup and shutdown with the scripts.

Please let me know if anyone has done this before.

Regards

Ratnajit

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

manfred_stein
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Ratnajit

NFS setup is described around page 70 of document "SAP WebAS in Switchover Environments (6.40) Update Feb06": You can find this document in service.sap.com/ha .

Tells you how to mount/link the nfs directories.

I hope this helps

Manfred

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I am not mounting the filesystem over the network , basically the cluster is mounting the FS /sapmnt/SID locally on the DB node , but the directory /sapmnt/SID is locally existing on DB node under the rootvg.

Anyway I have sucessfully done the task yesterday , and it works fine.

i am now able to start/stop the application on both DB and CI nodes with the cluster scripts. I would only NFS mount the FS /sapmnt/SID and /usr/sap/trans on my application server when it comes up.

Thanks for the reply.

Regards

Ratnajit

manfred_stein
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

This is the way our switchover document suggests handling this (page 70). :

On the primary server, mount the disks containing the directories:

/export/usr/sap/trans

/export/sapmnt/<SID>

2. The primary server creates soft links to the directories with the original SAP names:

Installing SAP Web AS in Switchover Environments

February 2006 71

/usr/sap/trans &#8594; /export/usr/sap/trans

/sapmnt/SID &#8594; /export/sapmnt/<SID>

Alternatively, the primary server can also mount the directories:

/export/usr/sap/trans to /usr/sap/trans

/export/sapmnt/<SID> to /sapmnt/<SID>

My guess is that you opted for creating the soft links. In any case if you mount a filesystem to a directory, the mount directory must exist. You can either use cluster softwaare to mount the NFS shares, automount might be another possibility. Your HACMP documentation should tell you how IBM has implemented this aspect for their SAP solution, this is what you should follow. Proper functioning of the cluster may depend on this.

Manfred

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manfred,

I have not used /export/usr/sap/trans

/export/sapmnt/<SID> this workaround .

This is suggested as an alternative if mounting is not possibe due to busy FS.

This suggestion is good , but the normal filesystem mounting works fine and there is absolutely no problem. I have not created softlinks for /sapmnt/SID to /export/sapmnt/SID because I would need to change the filesystem /sapmnt/SID after installation. I have found it better to use the normal procedure .

Thanks for the suggestions.

If I go for an additional application server , I only then need to NFS mount the 2 filesystems on the application server .

I am in this case not mounting the these FS over the network into my DB node and have locally kept the executables on the DB node although only a few scripts/executables are required on the DB node basically the startdb , stopdb , br* and sapxpg.

I am going to raise another thread on how to execute sapxpg on the DB node from the CI node through the RFC SAPXPG_DBHOST_<DBHOSTNAME>. Please help me on that if possible.

Regards

Ratnajit

SAP Basis

manfred_stein
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Ratnajit

This is a wide field, my first suggestion is to search help.sap.com for help on sapxpg. You will find a variety of hits, e.g. <a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/c4/3a7fbb505211d189550000e829fbbd/frameset.htm">help.sap.com</a>

Answers (0)