Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Launch SAP GUI (for Windows) through BSP page

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts

I’m looking for a solution to launch and open SAP through SAP GUI for Windows using a BSP page (Business Server Page).

I need to authenticate to BSP page with X.509 certificate and access to SAP with SAPGUI for Windows from the BSP, without another authentication.

The authentication to BSP page with X.509 certificate is already active (using HTTPS)

The context is:

SAP ECC 5.00

ITS 6.40

SAP_BASIS 640 LEVEL 19

SAP_ABA 640 LEVEL 19

SAP HR 500 LEVEL 21

EA-HR 500 LEVEL 21

Kernel patch = 167 for AIX

The network authentication protocol is not Kerberos

the authentication protocol used on network is Novell eDirectory and not Microsoft NTLM

Can you help me, please?

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Katia

10 REPLIES 10

WolfgangJanzen
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

I strongly recommend to use "SAP GUI for HTML" instead.

As of WebAS ABAP 6.40 the ITS (Internet Transaction Server) is now part of the server. You can simply use the URL /sap/bc/gui/sap/its/webgui. Using the URL parameter ~transaction you can specify which ABAP transaction (classical dynpro application) should be called.

Regards, Wolfgang

0 Kudos

Hi Wolfang

thank you for you support.

I missed to specify that at the present we are using SAP GUI for HTML, but SAP users have a lot of problems for bugs, HTML limitations and missed features.

So we are looking for an alternative solution

regards

katia

0 Kudos

Well, only the Portal offers such "SAP GUI for Windows iViews" (where SAPshortcut as serving as MIME application which launches SAPGUI). WebAS ABAP does not (at least not that I'm aware of).

Regards, Wolfgang

0 Kudos

I agree with poster that this sort of capability is needed, especially considering the failings of WebGUI.

How does the portal launch SAPGUI and pass the logon ticket to the backend from a web browser? Can this method be replicated outside the portal? Getting the login ticket on the web browser outside the portal is already solved.

Kevin Haller

0 Kudos

Hi,

It is also worth being aware that being able to use the SSO2 ticket outside of the browser can create a security risk, so this method is not very secure when compared to the alternatives available. In my experience, customers use SNC with a Kerberos library for SAP GUI and this is then separate from the browser session used by the user, and more secure than using SSO2 ticket for SAP GUI logon. From users perspective they can logon to SAP using SAP GUI or using a browser to access SAP content that works well in browser (e.g. portal).

Thanks,

Tim

tim_alsop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Katia,

I just noticed you are not using MS AD, instead you are using Novell eDirectory. I didn't appreciate this when I made my last post. Anyway, even Novell are moving towards Kerberos for eDirectory authentication. They have products which are available for this today, and are working on a new product called Domain Services for Windows which is part of OES2. When Domain Services for Windows is deployed, the eDirectory looks like MS AD as far as Windows workstations are concerned, e.g. it uses Kerberos to authenticate the user when they logon.

Thanks,

Tim

neeta_patel2
Participant
0 Kudos

HI all,

Did anyone find a solution launching SAPGUI (for windows) through a BSP page?

Thanks, Neeta

WolfgangJanzen
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

>

> HI all,

>

> Did anyone find a solution launching SAPGUI (for windows) through a BSP page?

>

> Thanks, Neeta

Well, you can do so - if you are using SSO based on SNC (SAP GUI for Windows).

But you'll not be able to use SAP Logon Tickets - simply because BSP does not gain access to it (for security reasons).

Question: are you using SNC (as SSO solution for SAP GUI for Windows)?

0 Kudos

Hi,

Has any tried this and working. We are planning to launch SAP GUI for windows through ICWC as there are many limitations e.g. can not use GUIXT in ITS and ITS is very slow.

Can someone please provide the steps.

Thanks

WolfgangJanzen
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Update: there is a way how this can be achieved (based on so-called re-entrance tickets).

The NetWeaver Business Client (NWBC) is offering such a feature (see: CL_NWBC_HTML=>LOAD_SAPGUI_MIME).

Regards, Wolfgang