cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Report Designer. Changed Query. Check Data Provider

Former Member
0 Kudos

When I change the underlying query to enable Show Results for the first characteristic, it appears that I am unable to reflect that in my Report Designer, as I DON'T have 2 structures in my query... Is that right?

Pretty horrific if so, having to create a new Report whenever I change a property like that. Any plans to upgrade the 'Check Data Provider' functionality, SAP?

It is common for a characteristic in a query to change from display Key to display Text, or to Hide/Show Display of Repeated Characteristic values, etc. If any of these changes involves re-creating the Report with Report Designer, that would make the tool nearly worthless, don't you agree?

Thanks,

Patrick

PS It seems to me that there is no 'Undo' function in Report Designer... that right?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

KarimM
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Patrick,

changing a data provider may include the change of a lot of properties as well as changes in the drill down / characteristic properties.

So far, only queries with static drill down, i.e. one structure on rows and one structure on columns, support the "change data provider" function.

My assumption is, that the static drill down scenario is the one which is widely used, especially when investing a lot of effort in layout and design of the report.

Regarding the display properties of characteristics (e.g. Key/Text), this can be changed directly in the properties pane of Report Designer, without even the need to change it in the query.

Currently there are no plans to provide a "Undo" function.

Best regards,

karim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Karim, thanks for continuing the discussion...

But in my experience, for every query with static drilldown there are 20 with flexible drill down.

And the impression I get is that SAP made this tool available as much for variable as for static drilldowns, particularly for Line Item reports. That right, SAP?

Point taken re my Key/Text example. But that is just one of many minor changes that would involve changing the query. Typically it can be several weeks, and several iterations, before end users really work out what they want! And (in case you are about to say it!) to tell them that they have to specify exactly what they want up front just doesn't happen.

So, I'm back to my initial comments and question, really. When are SAP going to upgrade this 'refresh Report Designer after Query change' functionality, and when are they going to introduce an Undo function?

Patrick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Does anyone have any further comments on Report Designer? I know it will be replaced (when? anyone know?) by a Business Objects product but it looks like that could be a while yet...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ! Patrick, i have exactly the same issue. I hope that SAP will correct those problem in a short time because i will be in production in 3 months from now.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good luck! I wouldn't hold your breath if I were you, I don't think this is on their priority list.

Answers (0)