cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MI upgrade from 2.5 to 7.1: backcompatible?

former_member211905
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi experts!

We consider upgrading from MI2.5 SP14 to MI7.1 when it is released. Today, we have about 100 PDAs distributed to our partners, running a generic sync application.

As I have understood, we must also upgrade the MI clients as soon as we have upgraded the server because the server is non-backcompatible with MI2.5 clients?As far as I can see there will be some huge logistics problems as all PDAs are distributed to partners all around.

Anyone who know if the only solution is to install a completely new MI7.1 server and then switch clients to the new server one after another? This way we will have almost no downtime throughot the upgrading-process, but is this a preferred solution?

Best regards

Øyvind

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Øyvind,

in my understanding you have to switch the Client to MI7.1 if you switch the Middleware Server to MI7.1. Well, because it is not available yet we have not really seen it - but it is really unlikely that a MI2.5 or MI7.1 client is running with a MI7.1 server. You can upgrade a Middleware Server in the normal version line and have clients that are on an older patch level, but a complete switch to a new version requests a switch of clients as well. Especially because a lot of the architekture inside MI has changed. So just to say this again, it is in my understanding not possible to run a MI2.5 or MI7.0 client against a MI7.1 Server.

I was doing some upgrade from MI2.1 to MI2.5 and I will do some from MI2.5 to MI7.1 as soon as 7.1 is available. All Customers plan a smooth update. This means, they will have two servers - well, these will be two virtual servers running on the same machine, but that is another point. Ok, so they have two servers running with the same Backend. One is the actual live MI2.5 Server with all users, the other one will be the MI7.1 server. Both Middleware servers have the most up to date data from the backend. The MI2.5 client continues to run with its old server - sp nothing has changed for the user. Then they start the upgrade in chunks of 5 to 10 devides to the new middleware. Fom the logistic handable and it gives them the ability to see, if the new system behaves as expected. Switching in a big bang is really a nightmare for the administrator. Setting up several 100 devices from one second to the next and then guarante that the new system is completely stable from the start - I think this is not really the thing you would like.

Another question: most changes are around SmartSync and the UI in MI7.1. So if you want to benefit most from MI7.1 you have to upgrade your App as well I think. This is another point where it would make sence to switch in chunks - because your actual App is running stable and with the smooth method you will have time to learn the more user you have on the system.

I hope this helped to answer your question.

Regards,

Oliver

former_member211905
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Oliver,

thank you for your expository answer! I think we will plan upgrading in this way.

Our app is a generic sync application, and we will not benefit from the changes around SmartSync. However, I assume we can experience better performance in general after upgrading MI server and MI client? In addition, I think administration will be easier after upgrading (setup packages, monitoring). Maybe we have to wait for some more evaluations after MI7.1 ramp up period..

Best regards

Øyvind

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Øyvind,

SAP is offering live Sessions rgd. NWM7.1. You find all the announcements in the following Blog:

/people/community.user/blog/2007/07/12/live-sessions-get-up-to-date-on-sap-netweaver-mobile-71

What could be interesting for you is the architecutre overview:

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/e048e20c-7246-2a10-e8a5-8b2b78b5...

Rgds Thomas

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Øyvind ,

well, unfortunately because you are running a GenericSync App, the Sync Performance will not change that much I think. I have not seen the system itself, but it is a guess. I am told they are using a new RFC to connect Middleware and backend, this will increase performance a little, but not much.

On the other hand you are right, the admin stuff is getting much more easy with MI7.1.

Have fun!

Regards,

Oliver

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I've recently attended one Netweaver Mobile 7.1 Overview session ,.....i remember the author saying "Remote configuration of mobile devices ( agent framework ) is possible with new Mobile 7.1 ......check it out.

Regards

Satish