Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ABAP Help .. What does those brackets means

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

I am learning sap abap and trying to use f1 on certain key words, I am unable to understand even simple statements because of lot of brackets.

What those brackets means ?? Please let me know. may be this is silly, I am sorry about my ignorance.

Regards

madhu.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ferry_lianto
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Venkat,

Please check these.

Vertical lines | between parts of statements mean that only one of the parts listed within a statement must be used. Lines are not a part of ABAP syntax.

Example:

DDMMYY | MMDDYY | YYMMDD

Curly brackets { } group together related parts of statements, for example, on the right or left of vertical lines. Curly brackets are not part of ABAP syntax.

Example:

{NO EDIT MASK}|{EDIT MASK mask}

Regards,

Ferry Lianto

7 REPLIES 7

JozsefSzikszai
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi Madhu,

the brackets mean the part between the brackets is not mandatory by the statement.

ec

Former Member
0 Kudos

Instead of pressing F1 on every key word...go thru documentation and learn it.....then u can write sample programs on ur own.....

check with this following link

it is having very good documentation

http://www.sappoint.com/abap.html

Check out ebook of "Learn ABAP in 21 days"...

http://cma.zdnet.com/book/abap/index.htm

Regards

Vasu

0 Kudos

hello vasu, eric and ferry,

thank you for your replies, i am closing this thread.

I did not understand by

abap theme -> abap -> syntax -> syntax convetions.

what does these mean ??

thank you.

I will allot points.

thanking you

madhu

ferry_lianto
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please check this from ABAP Keyword Documentation.

Path: F1 -> ABAP by Theme -> ABAP Syntax -> Syntax Conventions.

Parts of statements that can be used but do not have to be, are displayed in square brackets [ ]. A list of parts of statements in square brackets means that all or some parts can be used. If at least one part must be used, this is noted in the text. Square brackets are not a part of ABAP syntax.

Example::

[NO-GROUPING] [NO-SIGN] [NO-ZERO]

Regards,

Ferry Lianto

0 Kudos

Hi Ferry Lianto and Others,

Thanks you very much for quick replies. Specially Ferry you are always clear in your explanation and add code for better understanding. I really appreciate it.

now, I got about square brackets. how about these flower brackets ' { } ' and vertical lines " | " means .

thank you.

ferry_lianto
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Venkat,

Please check these.

Vertical lines | between parts of statements mean that only one of the parts listed within a statement must be used. Lines are not a part of ABAP syntax.

Example:

DDMMYY | MMDDYY | YYMMDD

Curly brackets { } group together related parts of statements, for example, on the right or left of vertical lines. Curly brackets are not part of ABAP syntax.

Example:

{NO EDIT MASK}|{EDIT MASK mask}

Regards,

Ferry Lianto

0 Kudos

Thank You Ferry !!

I guess this thread should be closed now.

Regards

Venkat