Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

Advice required on what is possible - iViews, BAPIs, Java/ABAP

Hi All.

I have several theoretical questions, as we are at the planning/design stage for some future additions to our Enterprise Portal (EP).

We have 2004 Net Weaver EP version 6.0. We are using SAP R/3 4.7c.

Currently the only iViews and workflows we have deployed in the EP are the standard packages for ESS and MSS, for requesting and approving holidays, etc.

We know how to add basic 'SAP GUI transaction' style iViews via ITS with an 'R/3 look and feel' and 'R/3 as is functionality'. We don't know how to create/amend more sophisticated iViews, or even what standard tools are available to do this.

We would like to achieve the following:

- Enhanced/Amended look & feel in Portal iViews for standard transactions e.g. ME28 PO approval, ME2N list of POs, ME23 display PO.

- Action trigger driven changes to data (e.g. approve POs) in the R/3 backend, from web gui events (e.g. button click) in the Portal iViews

- We believe that we can achieve the former by writing and deploying our own custom iViews using Java or ABAP.

- We believe that we can achieve the latter by calling (in Java or ABAP) the standard BAPIs for Purchase Order reading/writing with parameters from our custom iViews.

We also understand that there are some standard packages out there (like those we used for ESS/MSS) that will achieve something similar. But suspect that the GUI and functionality are unlikely to meet our needs.

Is anybody able to confirm for us:

- Is this kind of functionality possible to achieve with our current Portal / R/3 set up?

- What standard tools (NetWeaver Visual Composer, Java Connectors, BAPI Connectors, Web Dynpro, etc.) are available to help us do this?

- Good sources of 'architecture overview' and 'specific how to' documentation for these tools? Have found a few so far that seem useful on sdn.sap.com and help.sap.com.

Sorry for a relatively vague and wide reaching post. Any help or advice that you can offer will be much appreciated. It is a new area for us and we are still learning.

Regards, Tom Cadmore.

Former Member
Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question