cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help... Can't add link in "Common Folders"

sap_cohort
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi, I am trying to create a link in the /Entry Points/Common Folders/ folder and I'm getting an error. (I guess "Common Folders" Folder can only contain links)

I created a folder under /document call "Sales Group". Next I try to create a link to this "Sales Group" folder by pointing to the /Entry Point/Common Folders/

When I complete the link I get the error <b><i>"The item could not be created because an exception occurred in the framework"</i></b>

Can someone get through creating a link to a folder in /Entry Points/Common Folders/ ?

Thanks, Ken Murray

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member189326
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ken - you are right, you're not supposed to create anything here. Instead, you should create a folder "commonfolders" under /documents and create links within that folder.

This page gives you instructions for doing that:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04s/helpdata/en/e4/9a7440d76e6e1de10000000a1550b0/frameset.htm

sap_cohort
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Can you then tell me what the "Common folders" I am seeing in Entry Points is?

I see this folder when I try to broadcast.

So if I create a common folders in documents I'll have 2 folders for common folders?

(do I create this in KM with no space between the words)

Thanks for your help with this...

Ken Murray

former_member189326
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Ken - you're on the right path. When you create the "/documents/commonfolders" directory and start adding links there, they will show up in the Entry Points repository that you are looking at - so they are maintained in the /documents folder, but displayed for others in the "Entry Points" repository. "Entry Points" is sort of an aggregate view of lots of different information in the KM system and is generally not written to.

To answer your questions about creation: yes, create the folder exactly as it's described on that page that I posted, without spaces.

former_member189326
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I should add: once you do this and create a link in /documents/commonfolders, you should be able to broadcast there, assuming your permissions are set correctly. Does that work for you?

sap_cohort
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

OK, finally got it! Thanks for your help.

So, can you tell me what the "Common folders" is in Entry Points? Is it a folder? pointer? Seems like it is just a pointer to the commonfolders folder in documents?

All seems a little confusing, but it works now. now all I have to do is figure out how to transport the new folder in the documents folder.

Full points awarded and thanks!

former_member189326
Active Participant
0 Kudos

It is a folder ... sort of. The whole "Entry Points" area is handled separately as a special case than other areas of KM.

Each of the root folders (/etc, /entrypoints, /documents) in KM represents a different repository, potentially handled by a different type of repository manager.

In the case of /entrypoints, this is a special repository manager with features that allow it to do this aggregate view via <a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/f6/da3340284e7a56e10000000a1550b0/frameset.htm">entry point providers</a>.

This all becomes more relevant when you want to add to this set of features by developing your own entry point provider in Java.

sap_cohort
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks again for all your help. I gave you full points in the other thread as well. After reading the link you sent I was correct in saying that the common folders in entry points is a "pointer" to the common folders folder in /documents.

former_member189326
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Ken - you'll also want to look at SAP Note 1002104.

Answers (0)