Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display Templates - Data Mapping query

former_member186262
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi

As i understand, display templates and query templates are independent of each other. Any display template can be attached to any query template and a resulting display can be achieved.

In this case, when are the entries in the Data mapping tab required? when would one be required to use the data mapping tab ? Could some one explain with an example or two.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Deepak,

For the more basic charts such as a line chart, bar chart, or a grid the data mapping is not really necessary if your query returns a simple dataset with a value column and dates for the other column as an example.

The logic in the templates allows them to pick out items based on the datatypes i believe.

However, things get a bit complicated when there are multiple columns and you want the 4th column instead of the second as the value column. This is when you would have to map the data to the display template. Another common instance is the SPC display template since the configuration for it is somewhat complex requiring multiple fields for a proper display.

I hope this helps a bit, if there are more questions please post up.

former_member186262
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for your response.

So basically we just need to set the display template with out the other data mapping settings for simple scenarios.

tHANKS

Former Member
0 Kudos

In the most basic answer Yes!

But always remember to verify your results to make sure the mappings are taking place correctly.

SImple datasets you can leave the data mapping blank. More complex datasets it's a good practice to set the data mapping in order to make sure things map correctly to the columns you want.

Thanks,

A P