cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing a G/L account code from B/S item to P/L item

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I created a G/L account code as a Profit & Loss item. After that some document transactions were posted in that G/L Account code.

Later, I realized that that G/L account should have been a Balance Sheet item. So, when in FS00, I tried to change the radio button from P/L item to B/S item for the above stated G/L account code, it is not allowing because there are transactions / records in that G/L account code.

What should I do to convert that G/L account code from P/L item to B/S item. Please guide.

I will definitely award points to everybody who answers.

Thanks & Regards

Rajeev Sharma

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

sridevi_p
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I havent done this personally, but give it a try

Make the balance of the account zero. Block the account for further posting and then try changing.

Thanks,

Sridevi

• Pls. assign points, if useful

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

saikrishna_vallurupalli
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi Rajeev

When you tray to can change to P&L to balance sheet from FS00 screen u can get following error message

"Cannot change control of balance sheet (primary cost elements exist)

"The data contains error, you cannot save"

and if u open that message u can get the following message no.

"The data contains error, you cannot save

Message no. FH511"

it can not be save. so u comeback from fs00 screen

go to OBA5 and give the application are FH and enter, after that select new entries, select the drop down button select your message 511, in online column select W for warning and save.

please ensure that if you have not completed the year ending closing procedure.

then u can get the change.

please try it and come back me

assign points if it is useful,

thanks

sai krishna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Which way is the problem

BS to P&L or

P&L to BS.

I am sure it is harder/ not allowed to move from P&L to BS as per comment above, your title is BS to P&L.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Check if it is a primary cost element and linked with CO.

it is not possible to change from P/L to B/S item.

Regards

Prasad

Accenture

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajeev,

It is a big thing to change a GL account from BS to P&L.

First tip is, if you can avoid it please do, by this I mean, block the account and create a new GL account.

Please review your account groups, you normally group similar accounts in the same number ranges and I would recommend that a single account group is only BS or P&L.

The fact you have posted items to the GL account is the biggest problem.

You need to have the account with a zero balance, this will mean either reversing the documents you posted or creating a journal to zero the account and then clear if possible all of the line items.

You also need to consider the impact it has made on the documents you have created, especially if a period is closed.

I think it is possible to change if there are no open items, but I would contact SAP via OSS to get the answer.

Please publish the answer back on the forum.