Please tell me what is Smart Form and how does it works?
SAP Smart Forms is introduced first in SAP Basis Release 4.6C as the tool for creating and maintaining forms.
SAP Smart Forms allow you to execute simple modifications to the form and in the form logic by using simple graphical tools; in 90% of all cases, this won't include any programming effort. Thus, a power user without any programming knowledge can configure forms with data from an SAP System for the relevant business processes.
To print a form, you need a program for data retrieval and a Smart Form that contains the entire from logic. As data retrieval and form logic are separated, you must only adapt the Smart Form if changes to the form logic are necessary. The application program passes the data via a function module interface to the Smart Form. When activating the Smart Form, the system automatically generates a function module. At runtime, the system processes this function module.
You can insert static and dynamic tables. This includes line feeds in individual table cells, triggering events for table headings and subtotals, and sorting data before output.
You can check individual nodes as well as the entire form and find any existing errors in the tree structure. The data flow analysis checks whether all fields (variables) have a defined value at the moment they are displayed.
SAP Smart Forms allow you to include graphics, which you can display either as part of the form or as background graphics. You use background graphics to copy the layout of an existing (scanned) form or to lend forms a company-specific look. During printout, you can suppress the background graphic, if desired.
SAP Smart Forms also support postage optimizing.
<b>Also read SAP Note No. 168368 - Smart Forms: New form tool in Release 4.6C</b>
Execute transaction SMARTFORMS to start SAP Smart Forms.
Key Benefits of SAP Smart Forms:
SAP Smart Forms allows you to reduce considerably the implementation costs of mySAP.com solutions since forms can be adjusted in minimum time.
You design a form using the graphical Form Painter and the graphical Table Painter. The form logic is represented by a hierarchy structure (tree structure) that consists of individual nodes, such as nodes for global settings, nodes for texts, nodes for output tables, or nodes for graphics.
To make changes, use Drag & Drop, Copy & Paste, and select different attributes.
These actions do not include writing of coding lines or using a Script language.
Using your form description maintained in the Form Builder, Smart Forms generates a function module that encapsulates layout, content and form logic. So you do not need a group of function modules to print a form, but only one.
For Web publishing, the system provides a generated XML output of the processed form.
Smart Forms provides a data stream called XML for Smart Forms (XSF) to allow the use of 3rd party printing tools. XSF passes form content from R/3 to an external product without passing any layout information about the Smart Form.
<b>Advantages of SAP Smart Forms</b>
SAP Smart Forms have the following advantages:
1. The adaption of forms is supported to a large extent by graphic tools for layout and logic, so that no programming knowledge is necessary (at least 90% of all adjustments). Therefore, power user forms can also make configurations for your business processes with data from an SAP system. Consultants are only required in special cases.
2. Displaying table structures (dynamic framing of texts)
3. Output of background graphics, for form design in particular the use of templates which were scanned.
4. Colored output of texts
5. User-friendly and integrated Form Painter for the graphical design of forms
6. Graphical Table Painter for drawing tables
7. Reusing Font and paragraph formats in forms (Smart Styles)
8. Data interface in XML format (XML for Smart Forms, in short XSF)
9. Form translation is supported by standard translation tools
10. Flexible reuse of text modules
11. HTML output of forms (Basis release 6.10)
12. Interactive Web forms with input fields, pushbuttons, radio buttons, etc. (Basis-Release 6.10)