cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAPdb volume sizes

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have 7.3.0.53 SAPdb installed in a sandbox environment and have been playing around trying to do a few different things.

1)I'd like to change either or both the data and log volume sizes.

a. I’d like to be able to shrink a log down from, say 10gig to 1 gig.

b.Also can I increase individual data file sizes (as well as decrease) versus adding more or is it stuck with its original configured values.

2)The TEST db I’m playing with has 10 named volumes, 2 look like they’re being used. If those 2 fill up will it automatically create a 3rd, or do I need to do that before it fills up?

3) We’ve got a development db that is at 66% currently using 5 of the 10 volumes. If I have to add volumes manually when is a good time to do so? 75%? 90%? I know it’ll probably depend on how fast it’s filling up, but is there a good rule of thumb to follow?

Thanks for your time.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Krishna,

I have no idea about 7.3.0.53 SAPdb, but i use MaxDB and i explain the same using MaxDB,

1. MaxDB provides a Database Manager GUI utility using which you can perform this. After connectiong to the server chooos e the instance and in the menu

<b>Instance -> Configuration -> Volumes</b> Now choose the data or log volume and then in the menu <b>Action -> Properties</b> Now perfrom your modifications here.

2. Yes it is possible to make you database add new volumes automatically by using AUTO EXTEND functionality.

You can achieve this using

<b> auto_extend <mode> [<percentage>]</b>

mode : On, Off, show

percentage: This is your threshold (90 is default)

For example auto_extend on [75]

when ever your volumes size crosses 75% a new volume will be added automatically.

3. Hope the point 2 will do the trick, and you need not worry about it.

Hope this was helpful.

Thanks & Regards,

Kathirvel