Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Logical DataBase

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all.

Good morning.

what is the Difference between logical database and database, is both are same.

is database table MARA is a logical database.

Regards

prajwal.k

4 REPLIES 4

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

<b>Database</b>

Database is the repository of all dictionary objects like tables views etc.

<b>

Logical database</b> is another way of retrieving data for a program.

Logical databases are created by transaction SE36 or

Choose ABAP Workbench -> Development -> Programming environ. -> Logical databases

The name of a logical database can be up to 20 characters long. It may begin with a namespace prefix.

The data is selected by another program and one can access the data using GET <table-name> command which places the data in the work area <table-name>.

Advantages of a logical database over normal Select queries.

It offers check conditions to see whether the input is correct, complete and plausible

It contains central authorization checks for database access

Enhancements such as improvement in performance immediately apply to all reports which use logical database.

Reward if useful

regards

manish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prajwal,

A database table is just a repository for the storage of the business data from where you can fetch the data by writing the select queries whereas a Logical database is an application in itself.

It consists of a number of database tables logically linked to each other through some key relationships,a selection screen,a database program where all the data fetching statements are coded.

Whenever you attach a LDB to a report,the report need not to have any select query as all the data is fetched by the LDB.Mostly,all the HR reports contains one or the other LDB attached to them.

MARA is not a Logical Database but a simple database table but it might exist as one of the tables n any of the Logical databases.

For more clarification,go to T-code SE36 and see the LDB PSJ.

In case you have any further clarifications,do let me know.

Regards,

Puneet Jhari.

0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Puneet.

Please Give me the steps to create logical database, and tell me how to use this table in my program.

if u have any documentation on this please mail me to my gmail id <b>prajwalnairy@gmail.com</b>

please.

Regards

prajwal.k

0 Kudos

Hi Prajwal,

There is hardly any need of creating your own LDB as it is very difficult to create the hierarchical structure of a LDB and also finding the relationships between the tables to be included in the hierarchical struture.

Some or the other standard LDB fulfils our requirements.

The best you can do is copy the standard LDB and make some changes in it to suit your requirements.This can be done through SE80.

You can use the LDB in your report by attching it in the Attributes of you report by gong to GoTo--Attributes.

One has to be very careful n using a LDB as the Get statements must be carefully coded.

Refer to the link below for more explanation.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/9f/db9bfa35c111d1829f0000e829fbfe/frameset.htm

In case you have any further clarifications,do let me know.

Reward points if found helpful.

Regards,

Puneet Jhari.