Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

SAP Front End

Hi Gurus,

I have to install SAP front end on 600 PCs. How can I automate it instead of installing it physically? Is there any way of using Solution Manager. Please be informed it is a global implementation as well.

Regards, Nabi.

Former Member
Former Member replied

Good morning, Nabi - There are two possibilities, depending on your existing infrastructure. The first option is provided by SAP. You can install what is known as a SAPGui Installation Server. You then apply patches and configure installation packages on this server. It also has a distribution mechanism in the form of an Installation Service and a Distribution Service. These are useful because they can allow non-administrators to still update the SAPGui on a desktop. You can then create a log-on script on the PC to check to see if the SAPGui is installed, and if so if it is up to date. If it is not, the software will be installed/patched. This is an option if you do not have any other software distribution tools in your enterprise.

The option that we use is to utilize Microsoft System Management Server (now being replaced/renamed to System Center Configuration Manager 2007) to launch the setup command line on each PC. This provides more control for the distribution and you can then also do more reporting on the PCs that have the package installed.

Please let me know if you need additional information. I provided an answer to a similiar question in the SAPGui Forum also.

Regards,

Blair Towe

0 View this answer in context

Helpful Answer

by
Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question