cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Passing Control Limits into SPC Charts

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've got an SPC chart that I'd like to pass upper and lower control limts and a mean into.

My query has a date field, a value field and three fields for the above named LCL, Mean, and UCL.

On the Ext Mapping tab, I've got my LCL field mapped to 'Lower CL Column', Mean mapped to 'Target Column' and UCL mapped to 'Upper CL Column'

I'm using Auto Scaling, I've got 'Show Control Limiits' checked and 'Calculate Control Limits' unchecked.

When I display the graph I get a dashed control limit line along the X-axis. The 'Raw data detail' shows good data coming in. The 'Upper chart data points' shows good numbers for the position and value columns - the LCL, CL and UCL columns show a square box for each data point.

Any ideas?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Dave,

What shows up when you right-click on the chart and select SPC Results Detail? Do you see your values there?

-Sam

null

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sam,

Wow - a lot of stuff to wade through there. There's a section called 'Upper Chart Data Points' - the LCL, Cl and UCL columns have NA in them - not a good sign.

The data for the limits is coming from an Access database - the fields there are formatted for Numbers-Single. I also tried Numbers-Double w/o any discernable difference. The Raw Data Detail shows 6000.00, 8000.00 and 10000.00 for each record. I'm thinking the data "looks" OK but somehow the data format is incompatible.

I'm bringing the limits data from the Access database into a BLS transaction with a SQL query, join it to the production data (from SAP), run it through a calculated column block then send it out to my display template.

Dave

0 Kudos

Dave,

Yeah the SPC chart is our most capable/complex chart we have so there's naturally a lot of information generated by it As for your issue, hold down the CTRL key and generate the raw data detail. Take a look at the SQLDataType for the Control Limits column and make sure that its either an 8 = double or 4 = integer and not 1 = string. Also make sure that the column names mapped in the Display Template have the right spelling (case-sensitive). Finally make sure that the Java Console Cache is cleared and then reload the page to make sure that the Templates are the most recent saved ones and not ones stored in the Java Runtime cache. Hope this helps.

-Sam

Former Member
0 Kudos

The SQLDataType was 7. I went back to Access, reset the columns to be Numbers-Double and rechecked the SQLDataTypes - they're now 8. No change in the chart, though.

The spelling of the columns is OK - I browsed for the query template and left-arrowed the column names into the appropriate fields - no typing required!

I cleared the cache in the Java PlugIn control panel - still no change.

0 Kudos

Dave,

Very strange...

Can you post a sample of the XML dataset you are using? This way I can test it on my xMII to see if I can replicate the issue.

-Sam

Former Member
0 Kudos

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>

- <Rowsets DateCreated="2007-10-10T14:27:00" EndDate="2007-10-10T14:26:59" StartDate="2007-10-10T13:26:59" Version="11.5.3">

- <Rowset>

- <Columns>

<Column Description="Material" MaxRange="1" MinRange="0" Name="Material" SQLDataType="1" SourceColumn="Material" />

<Column Description="Plant" MaxRange="1" MinRange="0" Name="Plant" SQLDataType="1" SourceColumn="Plant" />

<Column Description="Component" MaxRange="1" MinRange="0" Name="Component" SQLDataType="1" SourceColumn="Component" />

<Column Description="" MaxRange="1" MinRange="0" Name="ProdDate" SQLDataType="93" SourceColumn="ProdDate" />

<Column Description="Month_Year" MaxRange="1" MinRange="0" Name="Month_Year" SQLDataType="1" SourceColumn="Month_Year" />

<Column Description="ProductionQty" MaxRange="1" MinRange="0" Name="ProdQty" SQLDataType="4" SourceColumn="ProdQty" />

<Column Description="UOM" MaxRange="1" MinRange="0" Name="UOM" SQLDataType="1" SourceColumn="UOM" />

<Column Description="DateTime" MaxRange="0" MinRange="0" Name="DateTime" SQLDataType="93" SourceColumn="DateTime" />

<Column Description="Benchmark" MaxRange="1" MinRange="0" Name="Benchmark" SQLDataType="8" SourceColumn="Benchmark" />

<Column Description="Metric_ID" MaxRange="1" MinRange="0" Name="Metric_ID" SQLDataType="12" SourceColumn="Metric_ID" />

<Column Description="LCL" MaxRange="1" MinRange="0" Name="LCL" SQLDataType="8" SourceColumn="LCL" />

<Column Description="Mean" MaxRange="1" MinRange="0" Name="Mean" SQLDataType="8" SourceColumn="Mean" />

<Column Description="UCL" MaxRange="1" MinRange="0" Name="UCL" SQLDataType="8" SourceColumn="UCL" />

<Column Description="ProdVsBenchmark" MaxRange="1" MinRange="0" Name="ProdVsBenchmark" SQLDataType="8" SourceColumn="ProdVsBenchmark" />

<Column Description="FormattedDate" MaxRange="1" MinRange="0" Name="FormattedDate" SQLDataType="1" SourceColumn="FormattedDate" />

</Columns>

- <Row>

<Material>HPTM CHLORINE</Material>

<Plant>310</Plant>

<Component>---</Component>

<ProdDate>2005-10-01T00:00:00</ProdDate>

<Month_Year>200510</Month_Year>

<ProdQty>300000</ProdQty>

<UOM>LB</UOM>

<DateTime>2005-10-01T00:00:00</DateTime>

<Benchmark>1735</Benchmark>

<Metric_ID>ING_011</Metric_ID>

<LCL>6000</LCL>

<Mean>8000</Mean>

<UCL>10000</UCL>

<ProdVsBenchmark>298265</ProdVsBenchmark>

<FormattedDate>10/2005</FormattedDate>

</Row>

- <Row>

<Material>HPTM CHLORINE</Material>

<Plant>310</Plant>

<Component>---</Component>

<ProdDate>2006-02-01T00:00:00</ProdDate>

<Month_Year>200602</Month_Year>

<ProdQty>300000</ProdQty>

<UOM>LB</UOM>

<DateTime>2006-02-01T00:00:00</DateTime>

<Benchmark>1829</Benchmark>

<Metric_ID>ING_011</Metric_ID>

<LCL>6000</LCL>

<Mean>8000</Mean>

<UCL>10000</UCL>

<ProdVsBenchmark>298171</ProdVsBenchmark>

<FormattedDate>02/2006</FormattedDate>

</Row>

</Rowset>

</Rowsets>

0 Kudos

Dave,

What column are you using as your Value Column? It appears that if you are using auto-scale that all of the values will always be way outside of the Control Limit Range. Perhaps this is why the limits appear to be down at the X-Axis.

-Sam

Former Member
0 Kudos

The value column is ProdvsBenchmark. Using AutoScale the Y-Axis runs from -10,000 (that's negative 10,000) to 300,000. Let me increase the control limits and see what happens...................................... OK, I bumped the limits to 100000, 150000 and 200000. The Raw Data Detail looks good - no change on the chart, though - the Upper Chart Data Points still show NA.

0 Kudos

Dave,

Ok, well it was worth a shot

Can you post your Display Template XML too, this way I can make sure that I set mine up the same way. Thanks.

-Sam

Former Member
0 Kudos

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><iSPCChart AttributeColumns="FormattedDate" ChartName="ING_011" DateFormat="MM/yyyy" IDColumns="ProdDate" LegendBackgroundColor="#FFFFFF" LowerCLColumn="LCL" MainBackgroundColor="#FFFFCC" SaveDate="10/10/2007 08:56:14" ShowCommentFlag="true" ShowMouseTracking="false" ShowTimeControl="false" TargetColumn="Mean" Title="Chlorine Production Versus Benchmark" TitleColor="#0000CC" TitleFontSize="16" UpperCLColumn="UCL" UpperCenterlineColor="#0000CC" UpperChartBackgroundColor="#FFFFFF" UpperControlLimitColor="#CC0000" UpperControlLimitParam.1="" UpperControlLimitParam.2="" UpperLineColor="#006600" UpperMarkerColor="#006600" UpperShowSpecificationLimits="false" ValueColumns="ProdVsBenchmark" Version="11.5.3" XAxisLabelAttribute="FormattedDate" XAxisLabelColor="#0000CC" XAxisLabelDepth="2" YAxisLabelColor="#0000CC" YAxisNumberFormat="0" YAxisTicksPerLabel="2"/>

0 Kudos

Dave,

The problem was with the way the Control Limits were mapped in the Ext Mapping Tab. Take a look at this Display Template:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><iSPCChart AttributeColumns="FormattedDate" ChartName="ING_011" DateFormat="MM/yyyy" IDColumns="ProdDate" LegendBackgroundColor="#FFFFFF" LowerCalculateControlLimits="true" LowerShowSpecificationLimits="false" LowerShowTicks="false" MainBackgroundColor="#FFFFCC" SaveDate="10/10/2007 13:26:58" ShowCommentFlag="true" ShowLimitTransitions="true" ShowMouseTracking="false" ShowTimeControl="false" Title="Chlorine Production Versus Benchmark" TitleColor="#0000CC" TitleFontSize="16" UpperCLColumn="Mean" UpperCenterlineColor="#0000CC" UpperChartBackgroundColor="#FFFFFF" UpperControlLimitColor="#CC0000" UpperControlLimitParam.2="[CHARTNAME]" UpperLCLColumn="LCL" UpperLineColor="#006600" UpperMarkerColor="#006600" UpperShowSpecificationLimits="false" UpperUCLColumn="UCL" UpperWEControlLimitAlarmEnabled="true" ValueColumns="ProdVsBenchmark" Version="11.5.3" XAxisLabelAttribute="FormattedDate" XAxisLabelColor="#0000CC" XAxisLabelDepth="2" YAxisLabelColor="#0000CC" YAxisNumberFormat="0" YAxisTicksPerLabel="2"/>

Basically the limits were not set for control only but one in upper chart control, one in lower chart control and one in Upper Chart Spec.... You'll see what I mean when you look at the mapping. Hope this helps.

-Sam

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well, that took care of it, Sam. I was feeling pretty smart when I came in this morning ... a little less so now ... but I'll get over it!

I guess I was thinking of multiple upper and multiple lower control limits, not an upper chart and a lower chart.

Thanks, Sam!