Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ENRON Scandal ???!!!??

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone,

Just thought like asking...

This is in reference to

Does any one know what the ENRON Scandal is about....

Cheers,

Tatvagna.

P.S: Please forgive if this has already been asked here...but at 10.30 pm now i don't have the energy left to search....Sorry..!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (10)

Answers (10)

NathanGenez
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

in case you didn't know, Enron was an SAP customer. They were running SAP R/3 at the time they went bankrupt.

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I nearly worked for them once, back in 1998, doing ABAP HR. But they cancelled the project with one weeks notice. Fortunately, I got one weeks pay, but instantly got another job. Which was very nice.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Oops...forgot this is CC.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Lemme assign a few points..!

Former Member
0 Kudos

returning back after a long time...sorry for the break..!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Tatvagna

Living in Mumbai you should have heard of the Dabhol power station? Enron was involved in that too!

Their actions brought about the SOA or SOX act, more details <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarbanes-Oxley_Act">here</a>.

Funny, Arthur Andersen is still in business, even if it is smaller!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Tatvagna,

Presumably the pun in your postscript of not having energy left was unintentional.

Regards,

Nick

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> Does any one know what the ENRON Scandal is

> about....

Google is over there -

>

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks to all about that very informative session....

BTW...is there any news on what Aurthur Anderson is doing now ??? just out of curiousity...

Reminds me of the movie Catch me if you can -- by Steven Spielberg -- casting Leonardo Di Caprio....

Cheers,

Tatvagna.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Andersen Consulting is Accenture now ....

And Arthur Andersen is somehow splitted up and merged with other companies ...

KKilhavn
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Key in the Enron scandal is double book-keeping. One set of real books, and one set produced for the presentations.

Enron was an incredible successful company which made a lot of money by trading energy, a business no-one else was able to make a lot of money in. So apparently they had a better understanding of the market than anyone else, or access to information no-one else had. As it turned out they were both illegally manipulating the market <u>and</u> doing some creative book-keeping.

AFAIK, one example of their creativity was that the full value a sales deal was booked as income when the deal was signed, and then the income was also booked as it was actually occurring. So they got their income twice, and that does of course help when you try to show everyone you are making money.

When something looks to good to be true, it usually is. One of the seniors I worked with in Statoil's staff said there had to be something 'fishy' about Enron more than a year before that analyst rung the bell. Simply because from his experience it wasn't possible to make that kind of money as a trader - unless you know something others don't. In a transparent market you can't know a lot that others don't.

Former Member
0 Kudos

> AFAIK, one example of their creativity was that the

> full value a sales deal was booked as income when the

> deal was signed, and then the income was also booked

> as it was actually occurring. So they got their

> income twice, and that does of course help when you

> try to show everyone you are making money.

I don't think this is possible in SAP with any kinds of revenue recognition methods. Another good thing.

SAP ERP I meant!

Message was edited by:

Bala Aluru

Former Member
0 Kudos

> I don't think this is possible in SAP with any kinds

> of revenue recognition methods. Another good thing.

[user]

But ... but ... the old system let us do that! SAP's so inflexible!

[/user]

KKilhavn
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> > AFAIK, one example of their creativity was that the full value a sales deal was booked as income when the deal was signed, and then the income was also booked as it was actually occurring. So they got their income twice, and that does of course help when you try to show everyone you are making money.

> >

> I don't think this is possible in SAP with any kinds of revenue recognition methods. Another good thing.

>

How much would you pay me if I could fix that for your company? If your amount is high enough this will be the first time I actually believe in a get-rich-quick scheme.

David
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

From Wikipedia - there were also some hints of data erasing - particularly around damaging emails written back and forth.

<i>Main article: Enron scandal

After a series of revelations involving irregular accounting procedures bordering on fraud, perpetrated throughout the 1990s, involving Enron and its accounting firm Arthur Andersen, Enron stood at the verge of undergoing the largest bankruptcy in history by mid-November 2001. Daniel Scotto an All American top team analyst, number one ranked utility analyst for an unprecedented nine consecutive years published and stated in August 2001 that Enron was likely to implode. Scotto was the first analyst to recommend the sale of all Enron securities, including its common stock. He was also the first to divulge publicly the magnitude of Enron's financial leverage and lack of corporate ethics, and to question the reliability of Enron's reported earnings results, despite those results being audited by Arthur Andersen. A white knight rescue attempt by a similar, smaller energy company, Dynegy, was not viable. Enron filed for Bankruptcy on December 2, 2001.

As the scandal was revealed, Enron shares dropped from over US$90.00 to just pennies. As Enron had been considered a blue chip stock, this was an unprecedented and disastrous event in the financial world. Enron's plunge occurred after it was revealed that much of its profits and revenue were the result of deals with special purpose entities (limited partnerships which it controlled). The result was that many of Enron's debts and the losses that it suffered were not reported in its financial statements.

In addition, the scandal caused the dissolution of Arthur Andersen, which at the time was one of the world's top accounting firms.</i>

Former Member
0 Kudos

Arthur Andersen went from a worldwide firm employing 85,000 people to a small training centre outside Chicago employing 200 😛

Former Member
0 Kudos

Exactly...

>> As Enron had been considered a blue chip stock, this was an unprecedented and disastrous event in the financial world.

It had nothing to do with the BSEG. It was a pre-consolidation problem of affiliated entities which were <b>not</b> in the BSEG, nor BKPF, nor consolidated account balances.

The erasing was emails, audit papers, etc...

I have seen many inconsistencies between the BSEG, BKPF and the other secondary indexes over the years. Most of them were caused by bad programming or process design...

Lets give the guy the benefit of the doubt, that those entries were all from the same batch session, or terminated update tasks, or a missing commit with subsequent update tasks, or etc... parts of which were sent into Nirvana, and he is trying to fix it now (hopefully it is a unit test in a development system which went wrong...)

So... everyone... please logoff from the production servers, and start working in DEV again. Production has returned to normal....

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think the difference between this and Enron was that the "deleted" e-mails were able to be recovered, but once an entry from BSEG is deleted, all the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put FI together again.

Rob

Former Member
0 Kudos

Indeed, even when you send an <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Purpose_Entity">SPE</a> through a

<a href="http://ukofficedirect.opnet.co.uk/Detail.aspx?ProductDealerID=252&ProductCode=150978&Description=RexelAcco4000S4HeavyDutyShredderMobileCrossCut12Capacity142LitreRef2101520">Rexel 4000S4 1,9mm HD Cross Cutter</a>, it is still there.

Good point Rob.

Cheers,

Julius