cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R3SETUP error code 1078

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I did one sap install and now I am having to takover a colleague's install. I am installing Oracle 8.1.7.4 (32-bit) with SAP kernel 4.6D on Solaris and when it attempts to create the database it returns an error code 1078. I have tried to search google and this forum section but google returns nothing and the forum results are far too broad and i cannot seem to hit the nail on the head. Does anyone here know what this error code means and what i could do to eliminate it?

it happens when R3SETUP reaches DBCREATEDB_IND_ORA using DATABASE.R3S with -f option.

thanks

Mani

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for your reponses.

I did have a look before and there are these files there already - init.ora, init<SID>.ora and initdw.ora but no init817.ora. its trying to load init.ora and that's why i thought it might be an environment variable issue as its not finding this file. i thought it would have known the db has not started and not issued the CREATE command. I must admit that previous collegeue thought a 64 bit was to be installed but later on found out that 32 bit was the prefered. i uninstalled it but the directory 817_64 still exists alongside 817_32 under /oracle/<SID>

if the installation is looking for the files under 817_64 then where can i look to see it is refering to this? all the environment variables are pointing to 817_32. Any ideas?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The Oracle parameter file was divided into a 3-part script:init.ora, init_<release>.ora and initora.addon.

During installation,somehow, only the init.ora file was copied from the CD, not the other two scripts.

Copy the required files manually from the installation CD.You can find the files in the following directory:

<CD mountpoint>/UNIX/COMMON/install

Copy the following files from this directory to the directory $ORACLE_HOME/dbs

INITORA.ADD --> $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/initora.addon

INITSID.DBA --> $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/init<SID>.dba

INITSID.ORA --> $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/init<SID>.ora

INITSID.SAP --> $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/init<SID>.sap

INIT_80X.ORA --> $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/init_80X.ora.You only have to copy this file if you install an Oracle Release 8.0.5 or 8.0.6. Change X to your database release.

INIT_81X.ORA --> $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/init_81X.ora.You only have to copy this file if you install an Oracle release >= 8.1.5. Change X to your database release.

You must also copy the following file from the directory <CD mountpoint>/UNIX/<UNIX_DERIVAT>_<BIT_VERSION>/install:

INITSID.SAP --> $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/init<SID>.sap

If init<SID>.ora still contains variables that are normally replaced with the SAP installation tool, carry out the replacement manually.

The variables to be replaced appear as follows: @<VARIABLE>@

Restart the installation after you have made these changes.

Pl award suitably if resolved.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi again,

I had a look at the DATABASE.log file and it seems it shutdown the database and started it up with a file called init.ora. Now this file resides under oracle/<SID>/817_32/dbs but its not finding it. I have a far idea it might be a environment variable problem but they are all setup properly. it tried to create a database but it failed after executing CREATE command at sqlplus . Any ideas?

Mani

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mani,

Error 1078 means Oracle cannot find the parameters file.

From your DATABASE.log file it seems it searches file init.ora instead of init<SID>.ora

If you have the second file in hand in /../dbs directory, copy it to init.ora file and try to continue. (you can also take a file from another 8.1.7 oracle installation, and change directory paths and db and sid name).

Regards, Yael