cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OSS Connect RFC

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am trying to setup solution manager and it requires a connection to OSS. I have been reading notes and threads for 2 days and I am still a little confused.

Do we need a Saprouter in order to connect?

The RFC SAP-OSS sm59 connection is unable to connect at the moment. We have never connected with SAP before so do I have to fill in the Remote Connection Data Sheet (Note 28976)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot for the answers guys.

Just for clarification, even with a VPN running, I need to have SAPRouter running as well? I thought SAPRouter is only needed if you don't have a VPN running.

blair_towe2
Participant
0 Kudos

Good morning - Even with a VPN connection to SAP you still need to have SAPRoter installed and configured to allow routes from SAP to the SAP servers and vice versa. When you have to open a connection for SAP to do remote troubleshooting, you will download a program called the Service Connector.

In order to enable SAP access to a customer system the network connection between customer's SAProuter and SAProuter at SAP (on sapservX) needs to be connected. SAP Service Connector accomplishes this by establishing an RFC connection from customer's PC via customer's SAProuter and SAP's SAProuter to the SAP Support Backend.

So as you can see, you have to have a SAPRouter that talks to their SAPRouter. You can install SAPRouter anywhere in your landscape. It operates on port 3299, so make sure that on all SAP servers you have an entry like this in the /etc/services (or C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\services) file:

sapdp99 3299/tcp # SAP System Dispatcher Port

If you need more information, please let me know. We switched to a VPN connection last year as well.

Regards,

Blair Towe

Former Member
0 Kudos

Blair,

Thanks a lot for your answers. I will look into SAPRouter installation now. Any idea how long this setup takes? I am a little strapped for time.

Cheers!

blair_towe2
Participant
0 Kudos

This depends on whether you already have the remote connection established with SAP. If so, it should take less than a day to get the software installed, create the entries in the services file of your SAP servers, and create the routes in the SAPRouter. You will need to open a message with SAP (Component XX-SER-NET-NEW) and in that provide them the hostname where you have the SAPRouter installed. They will then enter that information on their side. Then you have to define the SAPRouter in each of your systems in the Service Marketplace. Go the Service Marketplace --> Data Administration --> System Data. Choose a system, then in the screen that opens, in the SAPRouter section, choose the edit icon and select the hostname where your SAPRouter is installed. Once you have done this, save the information. Then click the "Service Connection" link in the SAPRouter section of the screen. This will take you to a screen where you can open the connection. You will need to first download the Service Connector to your PC. Then you have to setup the connection types. The most common is "R/3 Support". Select it from the list, enter the contact information, and save it. Then it will appear under "Open/Close connections". Click on the R/3 Support link in the "Open/Close connections" area. It will bring you to a screen where you define how long you want to open the connection. The Routestring should already be populated for you. If not, it should look something like this:

/H/<host where SAPRouter is installed>/S/3299

Once this is filled in, click the "Start Service Connector". The connection will begin to be established. This can often take a few minutes.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you need additional information.

Regards,

Blair Towe

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

It should not take that long. should be done within couple of hours if nothing goes wrong

Thansk,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear friend

First you have to configure SAPROUTER and then you can create the RFC between the SAP and you system.

shailesh Tiwari

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you are trying to access OSS Database from SAP landscape, YES you need to set up a SAP Router.

Thanks

Sudhan Shan