cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ad Hoc Querying

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All-

I am looking into the tools available for ad hoc querying in BW 3.5 that do not utilize the Web interface. So far I have only been able to identify the Query Designer as an option. We are looking to have our superusers create ad hoc queries (possibly in production). Has anyone had success in accomplishing this, how did you implement? Thank you in advance!

Claudia

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Ad hoc query designer is available in BW3.5 only with web interface in WAD or in EP

To have superusers create there own queries you can give authorization for end users for respective cubes in BEx query designer such that only relevant cubes they can use to create the queries

Bye

N Ganesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you everyone for your responses.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Claudia,

The Query Designer and the WAD Ad Hoc Designer are your only choice I'm afraid.

Keeping control on super users is hard - the more you lock them down authorizations wise the less they can achieve which defeats the purpose.

We have restricted the number of Designers but still queries spawn numbers wise. We do housekeeping yearly on queries not used in the previous year.

Will be interesting to see how other people fare out.

Regards

Gill

Former Member
0 Kudos

It depends exactly what you mean by "ad hoc query". That term can have many different meanings.

If you mean queries developed for use by an individual user (or maybe shared with his/her workgroup), but never officially "published" in a production role, then the answer is yes, we have done that using the Query Designer. Of course, we require the "power users" that are going to do this to go through training before we give them this access. In our case, however, we have probably had 50 to 60 users take the training over the years, but only a handful actually built useful queries afterwards.

Alternatively, if you mean "ad hoc" in the most literal sense, i.e. a query that will be run once and then thrown away without ever being saved, the only way to do that at present is with the 0ADHOC template on the Web. (Unless there is some new advance in 7.0 that I haven't heard about; we are still on 3.5.)

Hope this helps...

Bob