cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OCM docs

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Can anybody send me Organisational change management Documents.

It will be helpful. My id is [removed by moderator]

Regards

Seenu

Points will be rewarded

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi:

OCM Documents are usually organization specific. Most organizations have standard templates already.

It is very rare that organizations do not have change management templates in place already unless the organization is fairly new.

If that is the case, and you are assigned to prepare change management documents, you can definitely find some sample templates if you search on google or wikipedia for the same.

As a guideline a change management template should have the following informaton.

1. Approved Change Request #

2. Document #: (This is the document being revised or changed)

3. Reason for Change: (Brief explanation of why document is being changed)

4. Changed by:

5. Revision Version: (The current version of the document being changed + 1)

6. Revision Date:

7. List of Changes Column: A list of all the changes that were actually made to the document. This should have a "WAS" and "NOW" condition detailing how and what changed on the document. If it is a note being changed then what did the note say before and and what is the note going to say going forward. Keep in mind there must be an entry for each part of the document that was changed.

8. Approval Column: This should have a list of approving authority and a space for their signature approval with a date they approve the change to the document. Typically the author, a Project Manager, one or multiple Engineer/Developer for each department affected, a Quality Manager, Product Manager, Product Lead etc should sign off (approve) the changes being made. This list is customized to the needs of the organization.

This Change Management Document needs to be circulated for approval along with the actual updated document being changed and a copy of the previous version of the document so that the approvers can verify the changes that have been made to the document.

In the past I have used Change Management document templates in Excel, Word or AutoCAD format. It is pretty simple to create one in Excel or Word. I would guess that a standard format should be available online as well.

A prerequisite for all this is a change management procedure which tracks change requests and approval/rejection of change requests. Usually organizations have a Change Control (CCB) Board Meeting. Typically once a day or once a week depending on the needs of the organization.

If you have any specific questions on this process, feel free to ask me. I have worked a lot with change management procedures in the past.

Good luck.

Hope this helps.

M.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sreenu,

in case you are familiar with and are using Solution manager, then you should use something called as "Accelerators". I have quite often referred to accelerators in SAP implementation projects, and they do provide a good direction, specially if you need to create documents from scratch. The contents though would purely have to be project specific.

I agree with some of the posts that OCM is a lot about softer issues , somtimes more about managing expectations in order to manage the resistance faced during a change (IT/BPR etc). My core area is focus on these softer issues.

I am very new to this forum, but am quite optimistic about it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think the other posts have covered the "hard" documentation of changes. However, the OCM effort also involves some softer skill documentation that would include things like a Stakeholder Analysis to determine who your ket stakeholders are and how you plan to approach them, and this gets distilled into a specific communications plan highlighting the critical communication milestones from the project plan, which stakeholders need to know, and how are you going to get information to them and ensure their engagement.

I wanted to point this out as my opinion is that Organizational Change Management frequently overlooks or does a poor job of this part, which presents challenges when you go out to get sign-offs from the business and manage your way into implementation.

I'd be happy to answer any further questions you may have about this part.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I do agree with you that OCM involves the 'softer skills' - actually to any project it's critical to make the stakeholders feel comfortable with the changes in the system and knowledgable in what is going on.

Many times the key stakeholders are already determined in an organization just by looking around you. Who are the heads of your teams? your departments? your directors? Who needs to have communication when you are putting through changes in your system?

In our organization, we have our approval groups per module - and our overall approvals for regional, business unit, global, etc determined somewhat similar to heirarchical management levels.

Any questions I can assist as well.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I agree some with the previous poster - many are organization specific and also depend on the size/complexity of your organization. We actually use Mercury-ITG to keep track of our projects and to hold things like our OCM docs. In basic, we have 2 types - the Business Requirements Document that first must be signed off on by our stakeholders then the Functional Design Document which also must be signed off by the stakeholders then the actual testing of the product pre-production too needs signed off by our stakeholders as well.

Both the Functional and Business documents have almost the same information in them. Both have Project Name, Date, Version, whom to bill it to, whom created and requested it, the basics.

The Business Requirements Docs list items like :

Project Background and current processes that deem the project necessary

Scope & current interfaces

Documentation on the current processes if any

Business requirements for the project and a high level analysis of the project

Summary of the proposed project

The Functional Design document lists items like :

What is in scope/out of scope

Assumptions made for the project

Cross team impacts within our organization

Proposed solution to the problem

Interfaces if any will the problem interact with (both software & hardware)

Documentation & training is needed for the project

Project plan & estimates (including hours/cost)

Reuiremnts for the project to go live

Conceptual Diagrams

Use Case situations

I hope this helps in your search for OCM docs.

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Welcome to the OCM forum. I'm assuming you are fairly new to our environment as others too may be in this rather new forum. Please do not request documents by email. It defeats the purpose of public dialougue, sharing and knowledge exchange and is against our general rules of engagement. Folks here are free to blog, use the wiki space, post answers in forums to share knowledge, as long as they do not enfringe on copyright of materials.

Clearly define what it is you are looking for and by searching before you post, you might find that what you look for is already available and accessible here.

best,

Marilyn