cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System copy and SAP SID issues (WAS 6.20)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

We have a BW 3.1 development and production system running on a WAS 6.20, Win 2000/MSSQL, and need to upgrade this to BW 3.5. We also need to create a test system on a new server.

Our initial idea was to do a system copy of the production system onto the new server to establish the test system, but after checking with a few experts, we were told that changing the SID during the system copy process does not work for WAS 6.20. Can anyone else confirm this?

We now have a situation where we want to ghost/mirror the production system (instead of doing a system copy) to create a new test system. Our concern is the we will end up with both a test AND a prodution system with the same SAP SID. We suspect that it is not enough just to change the Logical System Name using transaction BDLS in order to uniquely identify the two systems. We will have to establish a transport path like this: DEV -> TST -> PRD. Will this be possible when TST and PRD have the same SAP SID?

Can anyone think of other issues we might run into with the "ghost" approach.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Thomas Kjelsrud

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Thomas,

It is not possible to run a system landscape with 2 identical SID's. And even if you do get it running in some kind of freeky way the system would be very instable (how would you know a transport has gone to the right system?).

A system copy and a <SID> change is still possible. However, SAP recommends to do an export and an import of your database. Allthough this is the best and the least confusing way (and labour extensive), it is not really necessary.

If you do a backup/restore procedure with a <SID> change, lets say from PRD to DEV, you will end up with a system that has DEV as <SID> but your tablespaces will look like PSAP-PRD-620. The owner of the database will also be sapprd. This is no problem at all to run the system, it is only confusing.

I know it works, I've got it running. I've also got a sandbox running with user saptsc and database owner cbdamd and <SID> CBD.

Kind regards,

Pascal Ottens

infra_team
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

I am in exactly the same situation as you are in.

Have you started with the creation of your Test system?

Regards,

Chun Poh