SAP for Higher Education and Research Discussions
Spark conversations about student engagement, research optimization, and administrative efficiency using SAP in higher education and research. Join in!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to more than one scale (4.0 scale and 4.3 scale)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

In our case( Korea Sogang University) customer used 4.0 scale for module appraisal but changed to 4.3 scale some years ago.

In this case how can we use two scale ?.

some students have 4.0 scale appraisal and 4.3 scale also.

I want to total GPA as 4.3 scale bases becuase it is used currently.

regards,

jin dal

6 REPLIES 6

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Try addressing this using the validity dates.Give the validity for the 4.0 scale till the time it was being used and from then on give the 4.3 scale validity.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ramesh,

let me ask you a little more detail.

1) at first customer used A+ A-, B+ B- ~ F and it was converted to 4.0 scale.

and currently they use A+ A0 A- ~ F and highest value is 4.3 scale.

2) some student have two grade A+ ( based on 4.0 scale) and A0(based on 4.3 scale)

3) currently they use 4.3 scale.

4) in this case, what customizing is needed and which part of IMG doing this.

best regards,

jin dal

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Jin Dal,

Welcome to the BPX!

Let me try to re-state your issue and offer a solution.

- Historical data has student graded on a scale from 0 to 4.0 for module appraisals.

- Current module appraisals need to be done from 0 to 4.3 for module appraisals.

First, there is some ambiguity in your question:

- Possibility A: A 4.0 on the previous scale is the same intrinsic value as a 4.3 on the new scale.

- Possibility B: A 4.0 on the previous scale is the same intrinsic value as a 4.0 on the new scale.

Which case is yours? The answer will determine how your scales should be set up.

Of course you can use validity dates to indicate what the grading scale is for each individual module. However, it is possible that you did not even bother assigning a grading scale to each module, if it is the same scale system-wide. In that case, you just need to take care that your historical booking records are created with the proper scale. Even so, you can change the scale for the appraisal itself.

If you want 'old 4.0' = 'new 4.3', just make sure that the value for the 4.0 in the old scale is the same as the value of the 4.3 in the new scale. Is it then a linear progression from 0 to 4.0 and 0 to 4.3? If the correlations are not linear, then you may need to set up a Quality Scale where you have direct control over the mapped values, rather than a linear scale, where the assumption is that the values are 'evenly spaced'.

Michael

0 Kudos

Hello Michael,

Thanks for your reply and sorry for ambigus.

my question is what customizing is necessary to calculate GPA.

Sogang university used two scale as follows.

1) we have quantity scale as follows (Until 2000)

A, B, C, D, F and it values are 4, 3,2,1,0

2) and they changed to scale as follows ( After 2001)

A, A0, A- .... D, D0, D-, F and it's highest vaues are 4.3 through 0.

3) I created quantity scale KRDO for A, B, C, D, F and linear quantity scale

KRG1 for 4.0 scale.

4) I also created quantity scale KRDR for A, A0, A-, ... D, D0, D-, F

and linear quantity scale KRGV 4.3 scale.

5) student can have only one quantity scale KRDO or KRDR.

it means there is no mixture of KRDO and KRDR.

6) in this case i want to what is required for GPA calculation.

in the IMG we have Define "Academic Performance Indices" and we have to define Scale ID for average calculating.

for student before 2000, i have to calculate 4.0 bases and after 2001 i have to calculate 4.3 bases.

regards,

jin dal

0 Kudos

Hi Jin dal,

Give the latest scale for GPA calculation in your customizing , and you want to know how will you differentiate between the two scales .

In your Edit appraisal , anyways the scaleid will be known and in the database level you can know the status of the appraisal .

Reference: PIQDBAGR_APPR is the appraisal table , which clearly tell the differentaition of which appraisal is used which year .PIQDBAGR_LOG will show the activity document .

Further , if you want ot do appraisal for the 2000 students , you should once again change the scale id .

Change the customizing and test for both cases ie for a student belonging before and after 2000 . Then view the appraisal table .

Regards,

Gajalakshmi

0 Kudos

Jin Dal,

I think you can simplify this, depending on how you have actually defined the scales. In an ideal world, you would have set up the scales in the following way:

<u>KRDO (A-F)</u>

A = 90,000

B= 80,000

C= 70,000

etc., or some similar scale values

<u>KRG1 (4.0 scale)</u>

4.0 would map to 90,000 (NOT 100,000) - This means that the 'upper limit' of that linear quantity scale is something other than 4.0.

<u>KRDR (A-F with +/-)</u>

A+ = 93,000

A0 = 90,000

etc.

If you did this, then you would not even need scale KRGV.

Here is the problem. You cannot just go and change your scales now to this simple model. Why? The appraisals you have already stored contain the absolute value (i.e. the value on the 100,000 scale). They would then all be wrong, unless you went into each appraisal and re-stored it.

I mainly describe that scenario for everyone else out there setting up their systems. Leave some 'headroom' above you current maximum score in the GPA! You may need it later. This is described in the Base Configuration Cookbook in my sticky post.

Unfortunately for you, I suspect you set up your scale KRDO with A = 100,000, and your linear scale KRG1 with 4.0 as the highest values (= 100,000). That means you really do need the extra 4.3 scale of KRGV.

You will probably not want to keep going into the IMG to change the scale for GPA. In fact you might have a user bring up the performance indices for a pre 2001 student, and then immediately jump to a post-2001 student! So, here are your possible solutions:

1) Just have two different performance indices: one for pre-2001, one for post-2001

2) For your GPA PI, use the 4.3 scale. However, then you need to change your PI Calculation itself to look at the appraisal records. For the pre-2001 students, you need to actually CHANGE (in memory; not in the database) the assigned grades from A to A0, B to B0, C to C0, etc.