cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peculiar case of GR posting

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI I have tried posting the same problem but no one could answer, may be because I was not clear in asking my question ....this is the question and best possible way to ask it...

We have a particular requirement for a type of subcontracting process (not the standard SAP subcontracting) as mentioned below. We create a Purchase Order for a material (without a standard cost). The Net price mentioned in the PO is the processing charges for the vendor (service charges). It does not indicate price for the material. When we receive the finished material from the vendor, we perform a Goods receipt. The stock gets updated and accounting documents are created.

Our requirement is to stop this quantity updating during Goods Receipt. But, at the same time, we would like the accounting documents to be created as we need to pay the vendor.

Is there any way of achieving this?

I understand that in the standard process, the parent item info record takes care of the processing charges. But this is process that has been customized differently as the client has SAP as well as legacy systems talking to each other. Turning off the qty updating at the material type level will turn it off for all purchase orders created for the material at that particular plant which is something we would like to avoid.

We would basically like to turn it off for particular purchase order type. The reason for turning it off is that after the GR is done, there is a separate process that comes from the legacy system and updates the same quantity of finished product and also posts the consumption of components. So, our basic requirement is , is it possible to turn off qty updating for the GR of a particular purchase order document type and yet create accounting document. Material is not a valuated material and has a standard cost zero.

These cannot be done:

Creating an account assignment PO will serve the purpose only for a material with value updating active and standard price is non-zero.

Flagging the GR non-valuated in the material data of the PO will also non-valuate the GR, i.e. no accounting documents will be created for the transaction. But it will not stop the quantity updating.

I was trying to think in terms of a new movement type which can carry out the required transactions. Any help in this direction or anything else that could solve the problem would be great!

Thank you MM Gurus,

srix..

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Srix,

I have read your post a few times and understand the issue. There is no standard way of achieving this. I am not sure which version of SAP you are on but I do know that in ECC 6.0 there are 2 new movement types (107 - GR to valuated blocked stock, and 108 - Reversal) which may be of some interest to you. I haven't explored the functionality and so cannot comment but you might to explore them.

This aside, how is the other legacy application updating the finished product and raw material consumption quantities in SAP (BAPI, IDoc etc)? From an auditing standpoint, the process does not seem logical enough. You want your stock accounts to be hit but at the same time you do not want to update the stock qty (I understand you wish to do it later) or charge it to an account assignment object.

You can certainly explore the new movement type route but making such changes to the update control of a movement type is certainly not recommended. It is possible but you will need to do something fairly radical to achieve this.

Unfortunately, I am unable to suggest any other options at this time. I will revert back if I can think of anything else.

Hope this helps.

H Narayan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you, I will try out these movement types...I will try explaining to them this is not logical ...but please do let me know if you think of something else....

Thank you,

Srix

Former Member
0 Kudos

Narayan,

Can you explain me if I can do this with a service and an expense material type. I mean the procedure for doing it.

Thnaks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, the movemnet types 107 and 108 can also not solve the isuue. But I have deciced to use quantity updating. So thank you .

Former Member
0 Kudos

Srix,

I see. Just make sure you have all the bases covered and that the client clearly understands the rationale behind your design decision. You might want to have a look at these posts which seem to address a similar issue.

- http://www.sapfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=229264

- http://www.sapfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=207189

H Narayan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Narayana, I dont know why but I guess there are many doing this kind of implementation. Anybody doing sap in integration with other legacy system faces the same error. So finally what do you suggest that I tell the client. Can you put it in the clear cut words so that I can explain it very clearly to the client. I mean the errors and what effects this kind of implementation has...

Thank you so much for the taking the time to help me out. I really appreciate it..

Thank you,

Srix

Former Member
0 Kudos

Srix,

There are so many factors which affect the way SAP is implemented in different clients. Some design decisions can be controlled and others not. Anyways, that is an altogether different beast and lets not get into that any further!

Regarding your specific situation, it is rather difficult to give any clear cut recommendation without knowing all the details (although you have explained it fairly well) or in general via a forum. I will just add to what I mentioned earlier -

- Your requirement is to bring in only the value but not the quantity when you do a GR. Obviously, standard SAP will not allow you to do this. Why? Simply because it violates standard accounting/auditing rules....How can you account for this value if you want it to reflect in your inventory (stock accounts) without any stock?

- The other way would be to non-inventorize the product and collect the value into a consumption account (account assigned PO - you can use a temporary cost object/GL account initially) and then let finance decide at a later time how they will allocate the collected costs.

- The other point I would emphasize (in general about implementing SAP) is that you are bound to run into such problems when you try to break the links within a truly integrated ERP system like SAP (separate stock update process like yours, backend MRP system etc). There are different reasons for having a multiple of legacy systems along with SAP in a company but if the reasons are not justified (better functionality, significant change management ect), then you will likely run into problems and increase costs (more interfaces, interface maintenance etc) over the longer run.

Hope this helps.

H Narayan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes it help out a lot. I am new to sap and needed this kind of intensive explination. I have another problem regarding MM01 feild views...can u take a look...it will be great help...

Thank you ..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Srix,

Not a problem. I answered your other question a short while back. SAP can be pretty frustrating sometimes:) but it's great fun for the most part!

H Narayan

Answers (0)