cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

xsd:string

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

My spec says some fields are of type currency, date, decimal,quanity, Numc.etc.

If I use xsd:string for all of these fields my scenario still works. But what is its effect on the interface in terms of mapping or table fields in ECC ?? Precisely what fields that I should take in XI ??

Regards

kumar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

VijayKonam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

XSD:string would work generally, as a string can contain any of the characters. But, you might face problems, where in, let us say, if you spec says integer, and you have used string fro this in XI, in future, if the source system sends you character data instead of number in this field, XI will not bother treat as string and try to accomplish the mapping. This might result in runtime errors depending on the kind of mapping/conversions that you developed with in XI. Other wise, XI would through error saying that input data is not correct.

In a way, using proper data types would detect any data type related erros at the origin it self..

VJ

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

udo_martens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kumar,

i dont think you wil have any handicap by using string except a message mapping will <b>not</b> fail in special cases like mathematical operations. Usually the receiving applications can give more detailed error messages for wrong formats than the PI mapping, so in my point of view there are less than few arguments for using other types.

Regards,

Udo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey

generally xsd:string can take any set of values(integers,characters,symbols etc).the problem will come in if you are using some mathematical,date,time function etc over this element.

suppose u have a element which stores the number of PO in a message but has been declared as string,now if u do some mathematical operation like addition,subtraction,multiplication etc on this element you will get mapping error coz its a string and you are doing a mathematical operation over it,similarly you will get errors in case of date,time functions too.

Thanx

Aamir

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi palnati,

here u feel the difference between the XSD:STRING and others in case of which your mapping contains any mathematical operations . i mean that if u have any mathematical calculations in your mapping program then it will effect.

regards,

Ramana

Former Member
0 Kudos

Palnati,

All the string in XI are converted to String type in ECC. You have to type cast these values into what ever format is required in ECC (char/num etc).

e.g -

orderNum type VBELN.

orderNum = input-MT_SALESORDER_UPDGENHE-ORDER_NUM.

As you know vebln is a SO number of type Char(10).

The second statement does the type conversion.

Double check all the places where this type of conversion takes place as these are potential failure points.

regards,

Arvind R