cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do queues / mappings work internally?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have some experience in mapping tools outside XI which are "source oriented". This is quite simpy as the source message is "read" top -> down and you can define at each field which action should be done.

So as you all knwo XI message mappings are "target oriented". There is the queue concept which seems to be one of the most complicated and frustrating issue in XI I have some experience in XI message mappings, but I really would like to understand more in detail how queues and message mappings in general work internally. How does the XI mapper "read" the target structure which actually contains the mapping code? What happens internally for example when you watch the queue of the PARVW field of the E1EDKA1 segment using a "removeContext" function afterwards? What happens without the removeContext function?

Any information, link to blogs etc. is appreciated.

Thanks,

Christoph

Message was edited by:

Christoph G.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI ,

Check below links for Mapping,

/people/udo.martens/blog/2006/08/23/comparing-performance-of-mapping-programs

/people/sravya.talanki2/blog/2005/08/16/message-mapping-simplified--part-i

/people/sravya.talanki2/blog/2005/12/08/message-mapping-simplified-150-part-ii

/people/stefan.grube/blog/2006/01/09/the-use-of-suppress-in-the-xi-30-graphical-mapping-tool

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/49/1ebc6111ea2f45a9946c702b685299/frameset.htm

Regards,

Phani.

Reward Points if Helpful

VijayKonam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you believe that Q concept is frustrating, you would never be able to understand the beauty in it..

Each source filed is represented as a Q (list of values) for all the values that field has in XML. A context is shown as grayed out value, which tell that, the parent for the value above CC (Context Change) and below CC is not same.

If you can visualise this, Understanding Qs is simple.

VJ

udo_martens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi VJ,

i dont think this is a question of ugly or beauty. My experience with MM is that is difficult to forecast the behavior at runtime, especially if the business case is quite complex. The means in the result more time for testing, more time for developing and more consumption of resources. Additional is it not easy to get a quick overview as you might find a lot hided UDFs. As we have strong alternatives like XSLT, Java or ABAP it is sometimes understandable that developers are frustated about MM.

Regards,

Udo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey

please go through the following SAP help doc.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/49/1ebc6111ea2f45a9946c702b685299/frameset.htm

it explains mapping in general and then it further explains the use of context and queues in message mapping

Thanx

Aamir