cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serial Number Management

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

Could you please tell me the significance of Serial Numbers and how can we use it for integration with Inventory management and Material Procurement.

Points Assured.

Thnkx Regards,

Rashmi

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rashmi

Typically I had used serial numbers in 2 process ,

1. In our industry equipments were used to store the finish product & the product was sold to customer. Here alonwith product the equipment was also dispatched to customer, after the product was used the customer was returning the equipment , on which some maintenance activities are planned. To track these equipments & there maintenance history we have used serial numbers.

2. this is alomost the same example, we use to purchase compressed gases like N2 & O2 in cylinder from different vendors. The tracking of cylinder was a difficult task, as we use to receive lot of cylinders from diffrent vendors. So we have used the serial numbers for the gas cylinders. We have used material BOM also so that while creating PO for Gas, the cylinder with Sr number was taken in to stock with 0 value.

This way Sr numbers helped us to track the our/ vendor equipments.

Hope this will help you

Regards

Pravin Bhamare

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Pravin,

Thnkx for u r reply.

Could you please tell me how do you send the Equipments along with the finished products.

You send Equipment as a Material or Equipment, if you are sending as a material then no issue but if you are sending it as a Euiqpment, please tell me how to send the material.

Regards,

Rashmi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rashmi,

The Equipment is nothing but a combination of Material and serial numbers datas. It tracks the stock information of that material. So when u send a serialised material the equipment record is updated with the information. So u can get all the information from an Equipment record

Regards

Anand.C

Former Member
0 Kudos

By sending do u mean an outbound delivery to the customer? If that is what u mean then you have an option in the menu of the VL02n screen to enter the serial nos. u r shipping to the customer.

regards

B A

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

affa

Former Member
0 Kudos

Equipment no. = Material code + Serial no.

Material code is required if you need to make IM related transactions such as GI, GR.

But this is not sufficient if you need to identify each piece individually. For instance it will be beneficial to keep track of which laptop serial nos. were sold to which distributor. Serial nos. can help you to identify each piece individually.

But this is not sufficient if you perform an install/dismantle activities for your equipment and perform maintenance on them. You need to maintain equipment master also.

So, material master for IM, serial no. for identification, equipment for maintenance data.

Equipment can be created without material or serial no. in which case you can't perform MM transactions. No serial no. without material code.

Only few of the features I have said here.

Hope this gives u an idea.

thanks

Bala

former_member187991
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi rashmi

serial no are sued to differentiate the equipemnt and materials which have similar characteristic,to differntiate them we use serial no . for detailed data have alook into the sit

<b>http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_02/helpdata/en/3c/abc38a413911d1893d0000e8323c4f/frameset.htm</b>

regards

thyagarajan