cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSM and BPC - Implementation Options and Concerns

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am hoping that someone can assist with some BPC/SSM implementation queries.

Until recently, our client was intending to implement SEM-CPM and SEM-BPS. Now, our client is considering the implementation of SSM and BPC. This raises a number of questions with regards to these products and their integration with Netweaver 7.0. Kindly see my questions/comments below:

<b><u>BPC</u></b>

<b>1.</b> Our client intends to implement BPC 5.1 immediately and then migrate to BPC 7.0 once the integration with BW is provided for. Until BPC 7.0 becomes available, it was assumed that BPC could exchange data with SAP BW by means of a flat file export/import process. From a technical perspective, is this assumption correct? Would you recommend this approach? Are there other ways to enable this data exchange?

<b>2.</b> In order to allow for effective data exchange between BW and BPC, we will need to replicate the BW cubes in BPC and update these cubes with the required BW master and meta data. In this case, I understand that data integrity and synchronization between BW and BPC is very difficult to maintain. What are your views in this regard? What steps can be taken to improve this sychronisation process?

<b>3.</b> SAP has committed to provide BPC/BW integration next year. Considering this, do you recommend that we begin with a BPC 5.1 implementation now or do you recommend that we wait until the integration is provided in version BPC 7.0.?

<b><u>SSM</u></b>

<b>1.</b> Does PilotWorks exist in Unix and what data base must it use?

<b>2.</b> What is the maturity of the mapping tool used to map SAP to Pilot Works?

<b>3.</b> Is there any data that must reside in Pilot Works or can all data be centralised in BW?

<b>4.</b> Is there any workstation setup necessary to run Pilot Works off a desktop?

<b><u>General CPM</u></b>

<b>1.</b> Even though we are still deciding which planning/balanced scorecard tool is ideal, we intend to begin immediately with the BW data modeling process. Is it reasonable to assume that the eventual decision to implement BPC or SSM will NOT have a significant impact on the data model from a functional or technical perspective? Obviously, we do not wish to build a data model that will be incompatible with BPC/SSM or that will place limitations on BPC/SSM functionality. If BPC/SSM will impact data modelling, what points should we take into consideration when preparing our data model in BW? For example, what data locking issues exist in BPC and how will this impact our BW data modelling?

I would greatly appreciate any assistance/views.

Thanks,

Ross

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ross

Tried to answer your questions on BPC/CPM, my collegues in SSM will answer your SSM queries:

BPC

1. Our client intends to implement BPC 5.1 immediately and then migrate to BPC 7.0 once the integration with BW is provided for. Until BPC 7.0 becomes available, it was assumed that BPC could exchange data with SAP BW by means of a flat file export/import process. From a technical perspective, is this assumption correct? Would you recommend this approach? Are there other ways to enable this data exchange?

Yes this is a right approach.

2. In order to allow for effective data exchange between BW and BPC, we will need to replicate the BW cubes in BPC and update these cubes with the required BW master and meta data. In this case, I understand that data integrity and synchronization between BW and BPC is very difficult to maintain. What are your views in this regard? What steps can be taken to improve this sychronisation process?

You can use informatica with whom SAP have a OEM agreement, to facilitate this process

3. SAP has committed to provide BPC/BW integration next year. Considering this, do you recommend that we begin with a BPC 5.1 implementation now or do you recommend that we wait until the integration is provided in version BPC 7.0.?

You should start with 5.1 implementation and later migrate to 7.0. With that you can start using the functionality and only the platform layer will change later

General CPM

1. Even though we are still deciding which planning/balanced scorecard tool is ideal, we intend to begin immediately with the BW data modeling process. Is it reasonable to assume that the eventual decision to implement BPC or SSM will NOT have a significant impact on the data model from a functional or technical perspective? Obviously, we do not wish to build a data model that will be incompatible with BPC/SSM or that will place limitations on BPC/SSM functionality. If BPC/SSM will impact data modelling, what points should we take into consideration when preparing our data model in BW? For example, what data locking issues exist in BPC and how will this impact our BW data modelling?

There will not be any compromises on functionality and therefore you should be good to have any data model within BPC model

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ross,

<b>BPC</b>

1) You can of course use flat files for export/import. We are also investigating other options right now as well, and will produce a How To paper in the next few weeks. If you have large data volumes, the export/import approach will probably work best anyway.

2) We will address master data in the paper.

3) As Muthu said, we are committed to providing migration tools, so you should definitely feel comfortable beginning a 5.1 implementation now.

<b>SSM</b>

1) Please look at the for a discussion on this. Therefore, there should not be any significant data model design impacts on BPC 7.0, as it will still require a separate cube.

Regards,

Ryan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Ryan and Muthu,

I appreciate the help thus far. With your assistance, I would like to explore some of these questions a bit further:

<u>BPC</u>

3) If we decide to begin with a 5.1 implementation now, we intend for BW to be the central data repository. As a result, it is clear that we will need to create the required data model in BW <b>and</b> in BPC; and then facilitate data exchange through an export/import process. This will be an interim solution until BPC 7.0 provides native BPC integration with BW. If this is the case, time and effort invested in the BPC data model and the import/export process will most likely be lost. In light of this, is an immediate BPC5.1 implementation still recommended?

<u>General CPM</u>

1) I will post my BPC data modelling questions on the recommended thread.

Thanks again,

Ross

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ryan,

Apologies - a change in plan. I decided to post these BI/BPC data modelling questions here to keep this thread going.

<b>1.</b> I understand that any BI cubes that we create <u>now</u> may be linked to cubes in BPC 5.1 by means of flat file import/export. Considering the investment in this data model now, it was hoped that we could use these existing BI cubes once BPC 7.0 is available. From your postings above, I understand that this will not be possible and that BPC 7.0 specific cubes will be required. Is this understanding accurate?

<b>2.</b> If this is the case, will it be possible to easily modify the BI cubes to enable integration with BPC 7.0?

<b>3.</b> Furthermore, considering the above, is it not prudent to wait for BPC 7.0 before going down the BPC route.

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Kind regards,

Ross

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ross,

1) Your understanding is correct.

2) The BI cube won't be the same physical store as your BPC cube, as above, so I don't think you should need to modify your existing BI cubes when you want to install BPC 7.0?

3) I dont believe so. As with any product (software or otherwise), there are always new versions coming out, with changes and new functionality. It is always tempting to just wait for the next release, but at some point you have to jump in and start taking advantage of the product available right now. We will be providing migration tools where possible, but an upgrade of any product always requires some degree of manual work. I believe that if you have the business need now, you should feel totally comfortable implementing BPC 5.1 today.

Regards,

Ryan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ryan,

(I am working with Ross on the SSM/BPC issues),

Could you please offer some guidance with regard to the following points:

One: I understand that SAP is working on fully integrating SSM to BI-BW. This means that data will no longer have to be maintained separately in the SSM environment. SSM will link directly to the BW cubes. All data will be stored once in BW. I understand that the ramp-up for this integration is February 2008. Could you please confirm that my understanding with regard to these points is correct – and in particular that February will be the date on which actual BW direct integration is possible. Is any slippage in this date likely?

Two: Will the integrated SSM work with existing BW cubes – or is there a requirement to construct cubes that are specifically designed to support SSM (as I understand is the case with BPC version 7.0).

Regards

Chris Worrall

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

1) All of your assumptions and correct, and no, we do not forsee a change in date at this time.

2) Yes - the intention is for SSM to read from existing BW cubes. There may be some small limitations based on the type of connector used to BW, but overall, it will work with existing cubes.

Regards

Ryan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ryan,

3 questions regarding SSM:

1. Can you please elaborate on item #2 in your most recent posting. I would like to understand the types of connectors that should work directly with BW cubes vs those types that will have limitations.

2. What types of BI-BW7.0 cubes will will work with SSM (ie Basic,Transactional, Multi, Remote, etc)?

3. Ramp-up - what is the timing to start getting visibility to ramp-up recruitment in the service marketplace?

Thanks

Richard

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Richard,

1) Search SAP notes for "ODBO restrictions" and you will see some of the small limitations i mean. We would document any restrictions and/or best practice guidelines, with the release of the product. For example, it may often make sense to create a query on top of your cube, and use that as the datasource for SSM - rather than trying to access the cube directly.

2) I believe all of those types of cubes will be supported. I am not sure about queries on InfoSets and InfoObjects - they may not be possible. As above, we will make sure any restrictions are documented with the release.

3) We will probably begin rampup activities a few months out from the release, so I would not expect any information there until next year. If you are keen to participate in the RU, please let me know and I will make sure the appropriate people have your contact details.

Cheers,

Ryan