cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running 2 SolMan systems, 1 as master, 1 as (remote) slave ? ? ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Will it be possible to run 2 SolMan systems, 1 as master, 1 as (remote) slave ? ? ?

My customer is running Solman 4.0 (only ABAP) productively in a complex landscape (hosted and remote environments).

Migration is planned to move environments to another datacenter (not on same campus) as part of a hardware consolidation project.

SolutionManager is basically used for SLD and Operations to collect data from satellite systems (mainly hosted onsite, some managed remotely) into the SolMan for EWAs.

Central Monitoring and using the MOPZ is in project planning phase.

Running 2 datacenters needs decision between 2 scenarios as far as SolMan is concerned:

1. running 1 Solman, connecting to satellites in remote datacenter thru a leased line

2. running 2 SolMans, 1 per datacenter, consolidating data in 1 "master" Solman

Scenario 1 is the simple one, but needs sizing the leased line correctly due to relatively high line fees.

As we're unable to find docu describing connection and bandwidth requirements between SolMan and satellites, no estimate can be made for the necessary leased line between the 2 datacenters.

Scenario 2 can reduce line load, but may not be feasable, as we're unable to find docu describing this setup using a "master" and "slave" SolMan.

Additionally, this scenario will be necessary to manage systems at remote customer's sites with customers already running their own SolMan.

Can anyone pls advise on both scenarios?

Cheers,

Wim

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Wim,

your described scenario is not supported by SAP. In theory, it could be done but you would have to take care of the data synchronization yourself.

Well, I can understand your requirement as we have a complex system landscape

involving Germany, China, Mexico, and US. The remote systems are connected

via a 2mbps MPLS line to the Solution Manager. When it comes to system monitoring, it's really slow when the alerts are getting read from the remote satellite systems, because a lot of RFC calls are executed. In my opinion, the line bandwidth is not the problem, but the "round trip time" is.

Thomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Thomas,

thx for yr reply.

I already guessed that my scenario would not be supported. So be it.

Leaves me with te question what bandwidth requirements are between a SolMan and it's satellite systems that need to be monitored. As you alreay mentioned, a lot of RFC traffic is exchanged.

Till now, I've been unable to find docu describing connection and bandwidth requirements between SolMan and satellites, so no sizing estimate can be made for the necessary leased line between the 2 datacenters. Some 20 systems need to be monitored thru that line, together with other traffic going thru it.

Can you pls help with docu like network graphs or other?

Thx in advance!

Wim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I dont understand why do you want to use 2 solman? one solman is enough. the best idea would be just have solman landscape. either get two solman and make it one test, and second one prdsolman..

Thanks,