cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CrEme licensing problem

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello experts,

I just found out the CrEme is not a freeware so I was wondering if there is any Java runtime for mobile devices which is available for free. What we need is a simple 3-web-page 'application' to be run on server getting a information from the users and saving it to the file. Nothing special, very simple and cheap solution.

Plase advise, points guaranteed!

Many thanks,

Frank

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Frank,

because you have asked some days ago how to license Creme, that you are not using Mi. With Mi you are allowd to use Creme even if you develop your own app on top of Creme - so normally you do not have to worry about that licensing stuff.

J9 from IBM is another runtime - it is not supported by MI and it is not license free as well.

So, if you are not using MI at all, I think as well, .Net is a good option. It gives you less overhead on the device and you could send the values via a webservice into your backend server.

But as I said earlier: if you use MI, you do not have to worrie about the licensing of Creme.

Regards,

Oliver

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks guys,

this customer does not use MI. They just needed a simple soution to store some data on the mobile device.

.NET, however does not contain Java runtime, does it? I would probably have to switch to C# right?

Thanks,

Frank

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

J9, Creme, etc are all commercial licenses. You need to buy (license) them to use them productively. Mi does nto come bundled with any JVM.

As for the .NET question, yes you would need to switch to C#. Another derivative of C that looks quite similar to C++/Java and a plethora of other languages. Just need to look at the API to get a feeling, but in the basics it is quite similar to Java.

I almost nevr recommand .net but for this kind of development it might cost less...

Thank you,

Julien.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks guys,

even though I was working with C# before, I don't feel very comfortable switching from Java at this point (the web application is finished and fully tested).

It will be easier for me to recommed the customer to buy the licence.

Thanks again,

Frank

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Frank,

you talk about a web app that is fully tested. I am not 100% sure, but please use Creme on the device first to test your approach.

If you talk about a web app - do you mean an Applet that you run in the browser? In my understanding of the security issues of PDAs, this has to be installed and registered locally on the PDA, otherwise it will not work - at least that was the thing I have seen always when I had to use an Applet on the PDA.

You can get the 30day trial version of Creme to test it - just register at NSICom and you are allowed to download it.

Hve fun!

Oliver

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Frantisek,

If your application is a web-application, you can access this app for a browser.

We had a big problem on the project that i am actually. We developed all the applications using SAP Mobile with Generic Sync for PDAs.

But on the tests our costumer said that the sync time was very very slow and SAP notified us that the sync time won't improve. The actually time was the limit of SAP Mobile.

So we decided take of SAP Mobile and put the applications on Web AS. We had to developed all autentication, authorization and roles control and modify the access to the server that used GenericSync API to JCo API.

Now the users access the applications by a URL and our costumer is very happy with applications perfomance.

Looking about the positive point, to use the system it isn't necessary install SAP Mobile Client and CrEmE.

Regards,

Bruno

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Using MI or not?

If not go for .NET for free stuff and good look and feel. Otherwise there are no stable and free JRE for pocket pc right now.

Thank you,

Julien.