Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change output field length.

former_member198275
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In FK02 the name field is 40 char. But when Im pressign F1 on that field it goes to ADDR1_KEYW table. And the field is showing

NAME1___TEXT1__CHAR__15____Text (15 characters)

Why in the dispaly 40 chanracter and in the table its only 15 character.

And the 2nd one i have to increase the fieldlength of the database table. So how to do,modify the field of SAP standard table?

9 REPLIES 9

Former Member
0 Kudos

The reason can be the visible length of the field may be 40 charachters.

SECONDLY NEVER MODIFY A STANDARD SAP TABLE FIELD. Reason being it can effect in many places and can make you system unstable.

Khusro Habib

hymavathi_oruganti
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

for a field, in the domain, in the definition tab, u can see two blocks, formatting and output characteristics.

in the output characteristics block, we can set the output length, it may differ from actual no. of characters.

for standard table, if u want to change the fiedl length, u need an access key.

Message was edited by:

Hymavathi Oruganti

JozsefSzikszai
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi Kaushik,

probably you do something wrong, because when I click on the field it goes to ADDR1_DATA which is not a table, but a structure), the field is NAME1 and it is 40 chars long. On the ohter hand, you can be sure about that is it stored in LFA1-NAME1 and it is 40 chars long.

hope this helps

ec

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Kaushik,

i tested your scenario.

but when i press F1 on Name field it is going to table ADDR1_DATA.

and it has length 40 char.

2. you can increase the length of the field of Standard SAP table.

but you need access key to do modifications for SAP Tables.

<b><i>Reward points if useful</i></b>

Chandra

JozsefSzikszai
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Kaushik,

it is not advised to change the length of a stadard SAP field, however if you do, Chandrasekhar will take responsibility for all the dumps, which might occur.. .)

ec

0 Kudos

Yes all u r right. Its ADDR1_DATA. So the requirement is the field should be 50. If I say Yes it is possible to them ,i will have the access KEY. But will it create any problem in future???Plz help

0 Kudos

yes, u may have problems, it is not advisable to incrase length in standarad tables.

0 Kudos

it will create problems for sure:

for example all the scree fields where this information is displayed only 40 characters long, you won't be able to display at all (except if you change the screens as well...but that is another don't do thing).

On the other hand there are NAME1, NAME2, NAME3, NAME4... Should be enough for all clients...

ec

0 Kudos

thanks