cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading ESS/MSS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am on NW04s ESS6.0 ESS/MSS SP10 and want to upgrade to SP10 ...I want to know certain things about it..

1) How many new tracks do we need to create.?

2) Do we need to manually move the changes from the old track.?

3) Are there any other requirements for the Upgrade process.?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

rajendrengovend
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Subhash,

Upgrading of XSS Web Dynpro Components involved two things:

1. creating one new track containing the new version of the components

2. manually moving your customizations to the new track containing the new version

make sure you don't delete the current version, as these contain all your customizations.

regards,

Raj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Raj,

Thanks for the reply. When I read the NWDI Cookbook it said that you have to create 2 new tracks the first time you go for upgrade...one for comparison and the other for moving the changes ....

One more thing does the Development Configuration file which we import from the NWDI to the NWDS correspond to one track.?

Looking forward to your reply.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Looking forward to your reply

Thanks

rajendrengovend
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Subash,

sorry for the slow reply. Generally when upgrading you already have one track which contains all your mods. SAP says three for this reason:

Old Track: contains all the mods, no changes here used for comparison

Actual code Track; Contains all the new code, no mods, this allows overwriting of deployed version should something go wrong after making changes. sort of a backup version to start from.

Implementation Track: Contains all the new code with mods, this is your final DCs that will go to production.

Yes, there is a one-to-one mapping with Development configuration file and track.

Regards,

Raj

Message was edited by:

Armin Reichert

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Raj,

Thanks for the reply. So I think we need to create 2 new tracks for the upgarde because we already have the old track...

then the first new created track would become the Actual Code track and the second one would become the Implementation track...

I hope I am going in the right direction.

rajendrengovend
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Subash,

Yes, two tracks. Both tracks contain the new code but only one will contain the mods as well. We generally add an 'M' to the track name to denote a modified track.

Regards,

Raj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Raj,

One last question ...since we are planning to upgrade for both ESS and MSS then there would be 2 separate tracks for MSS as well.....?

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks

rajendrengovend
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Subash,

Since they're two separate Software Components, you can keep them in one track. Call it XSS... or something like that.

Thanks,

Raj

Message was edited by:

Armin Reichert

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Raj,

But here in my client side they have separate tracks(Development Configurations) for ESS and MSS .....

so i think I should go with that...

Please give your inputs.