cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP instances

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As you know, an SAP system consists of SAP instances.

I now have to setup a distributed system and I want to 100% make sure the following:

- How many central instances can I setup (such as 1 for EP, one for BI Java ...)?

- How many central service instances can I setup?

- Is this only one DB instance (for distributed system)?

- We can have as many Dialog instances as we want, haven't we?

Thanks,

Toan Do

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Toan,

Any system can only have one CI, and one SCS and one DB instance (unless you are installing a High Availability or Cluster). So for one SID, lets call it PRD you can only have one CI, DB, and SCS instance. You can have the same for a different system, say QAS.

Regards,

David

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hariprasad & David,

So we have only 1 CI, 1DB for a SAP system in non-high availability.

Ok, if my QA SAP system contains 2 servers: 1 for CI + SCS, 1 for DB. Assume that the CI is installed with all ERP + NetWeaver software units. Next, I have to install EP & BI in 2 other separated servers. Is there anything wrong if the CI have had the EP,EP Core and BI but I want to lead users to the 2 new servers of EP and BI?

Thanks,

Toan Do

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Toan,

I preffer going with 2 seperate servers for EP and BI, So as per your idea you can go with CI+SCS on 1 server, DB on 1 server and EP,BI on another 2 boxes. You can correct me if I made any wrong interpretation.

Regards,

Hari.

PS: Points are welcome.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hari.

But if the CI has already contained EP & BI software units, then I install EP & BI on other 2 boxes, anything is wrong or needs re-configurations?

Regards,

Toan Do

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Toan,

No thing wrong or no need of any re-configuration. Because when you acess the EP like "http://hostname:5XX00/irj", So on the new server your host name is different and sys.no(00 -99) is also different.

Regards,

Hari.

PS:Points are welcome.

Former Member
0 Kudos

ah yes,

Thanks so much Hari.

10p for your help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Another question Hari,

As the CI has already contained EP & BI software units and the 2 new boxes contain EP & BI separately. So how can I "disable" EP & BI functions on the CI to prevent users from using?

Regards,

Toan Do

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

inquiry generated

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Toan,

If you don't configure the EP and BI people are not able to use it, so there is no question of dis able it.No body can access this with out your permission(password).

Regards,

Hari.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Toan,

So long as you have different SID's fot your Central and SCS instances you can have as many as you like, however I think you are a little confused.

A typical distributed system would consist of your Central Instance and your SCS instance on one server, and your database instance on another server. This would be one system, and you can add as many Dialog Instances to this as you want to.

One System can run EP, BI Java and many other usage types. Of course it depends on the usage of the system and your hardware, but you do not require a seperate system for each usage type.

Hopefully this is of help,

Regards,

David

Please reward with points if helpful

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I know I can install SCS, DB and CI in 3 servers in my distributed system.

SAP says that a SAP system must have 1 CI, so I wonder whether or not I can install more CI. And how about SCS, how many possible?

About EP, BI Java; maybe I will install EP in 1 server, and the same for BI.

Regards,

Toan Do

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Toan,

Let me put it in this way, your production server can have only on CI and same with Quality and Development. Now on your production you can have diff. SCS and Dialog Instances(DI).

When it comes to EP and BI, you can have DEV, QAS and PRD.

Regards,

Hari.

PS: Points are welcome.