cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOW to do BACKUP ????? URGENT

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

i have not done backup till date so want to know some information abt it.i get a error ora: 00257 archiver error.The archive log mode was set and the files were saved to F:\oracle\U46\saparch directory . it occupies 33 GB space now.i want to back up these files in SAPARCH and delete the files to free the space. i no longer need the archive log mode so i changed it.

Can i manually copy the files to a location and delete files from SAPARCH???

Should i use BRARCHIVE for that????

if so will it archive the 33 GB file,if yes wat parameters are to be used in brarchive like device type, to copy it to a external drive???

can i archive these files to a external drive...?????

Experts Kindly help

Regards

Finny

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Finny,

Engage an external contractor who is skilled in this area and clear your concepts. It will be very benificial to you and the organization.

Cheers,

Nisch

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Too many questions (probably already answered)

1) read the manual:

--> Backup and Recovery

2) attend training ( how can a DBA make such an URGENT question! )

I understand that you have changed from ARCHIVE LOG MODE to NO ARCHIVE LOG MODE:

<quote>

<b>i no longer need the archive log mode so i changed it.</b>

</quote>

In that case I hope it is not your production DB and you can afford to lose data.

- You can only use OFFLINE backups ( have you done one after changing the mode, isn`t it? )

- The offline redo log files would be useless. You can use them to recover from the last backup to just the point were you change the archive log mode, but no further.

- You can only perfor crash recovery.

In your current situation I would do a GOOD offline backup. Drop the offline redo log ( i do not see much use for them ). Pray a little I do not need to perform media recovery. Read a lot the mentioned docuements and, finally, prepare a good Backup, restore and disaster recovery plan.

Sorry if I`m a bit hard, but I`m attonish with the question and I`ve seen too many databases <b>LOST</b> for similar situations

Former Member
0 Kudos

No problem fidel being harsh,thankyou for the suggestions

thanks

finny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Please go through these link , it will explain about backup archive. use brbackup for backing up database and brarchive for archiving. To start with you can use brtools --> 4 - Backup and database copy

after that you can schedule it through DB13 or use the commands and scedule at OS level.

Thanks

Prince Jose

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks Jose - can i back up the files to a external drive??? an external hard drive.

can i do it with backup device type tape in the parameters

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

search this forum with these keywords:

oracle backup on disk