Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BI and portal system landscape

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all.

We currently have a system landscape like in this picture:

<a href="http://img503.imageshack.us/my.php?image=landscapetx3.gif">http://img503.imageshack.us/my.php?image=landscapetx3.gif</a>

To begin with we only used BW, which is hosted at a hosting company. Later on we installed a portal (SEP 6.0) which was physically placed at our company in the same LAN. No problems and everything seemed quite fast (BW web reports delivered directly from the BW/ABAP).

This year we upgraded both the portal and BW to the new NetWeaver 2004s versions. Since the systems are a lot more dependant now (JAVA integration etc.) we are wondering if out system landscape should be changed? It is not possible to move the BW server, but the portal server could possible be moved so it would be on the same LAN as the BW server. This would not change the fact that we only have a 2048/2048kbps connection, from here to the hosting company, which is used for all SAP communication (including ERP2005 systems). Our experience is that especially BW web reports are significantly slower than they used to, when they are developed with the new BI web application designer and executed through the portal (using JAVA).

Please advice.

Best regards

Stefan Stefansson

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

blair_towe2
Participant
0 Kudos

Good afternoon, Stefan - We will be upgrading our SAP BI system from 3.5 to Netweaver BI 7.0 early next year. I just attended SAP TechEd looking for helpful information and in a session about Netweaver landscapes the speaker mentioned that the BI Java service carries a very heavy performance hit. They actually setup a separate Java web application server just for the BI-Java component and recommended <b><u>not</u></b> running it on the same server where the Enterprise Portal is running. I don't personally know how this would look from an architecture standpoint, but I guess in your diagram you could install the BI-Java Netweaver J2EE in the non-hosted part of the landscape.

Sorry I don't have more details. I hope this helps in some way.

Regards,

Blair Towe

Former Member
0 Kudos

Great help Blair! Thanks a lot!

BR

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Blair and Stefan,

I am one of the creators and presenters of the session that Blair is talking about -- LCM228. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Best Regards,

Matt