cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I use one hierarchical table as a node of another hierarchical tabl

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a requirement where I have two hierarchical tables and one table should work as node for other table . How to achieve this??

To elaborate more the structure is like

Main Table (Company Structure)

Sub table “Consolidation Groups” which has got hierarchical structure

Sub table “Entity” which is also hierarchical.

The Entity table should act as a node for table “Consolidation Groups”

How can I achieve this functionality??

Thanks

Suvarna

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Walter,

Thanks for your help .I tried your suggestion but still it does not work.

Let me explain it further, I have two sub tables which are hierarchical in nature table names are “consolidation group" and 'Entity”. You can say Entity is a substructure of Consolidation group. For e.g. say in consolidation group table I have 10 fields out of 10 for one field in "Consolidation group should have the entity table is a child. And I should be in a position to move this child from one node to another.

Thanks,

Suvarna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suvarna,

I'm sorry - but I still do not fully understand what you are trying to do.

You can contact me via email (walter.kahn@sap.com), and attach a screen capture of the MDM Console for what you are attempting. If necessary, we can also talk on by phone or NetMeeting.

Walter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suvarna,

I think I understand now what you are trying to do.

MDM does not have built-in way to implement a recursive tree structure.

However, you can achieve what you are attempting by doing the following:

Create "Consolidation Groups" as a flat table. In "Relationships" define a Parent/Child relationship on that table. Then when adding/editing records in the MDM Client, you can set the relationships.

The tree structure will not be visible in the MDM Client, but can be easily built in a custom application using the API.

- Walter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roman ,

Thanks for your help . I tried the option suggested by you but still it doesn't work .

My requirement is

Consolidation Group -

>Entity

The hierarchical table "Consolidation Group" should be a parent node and it should contain the "Entity table" as a child. And we should be able to move Entity type from one node/level of consolidation group to another.

Thanks ,

Suvarna

Former Member
0 Kudos

you misunderstood me apparently. I said you can't organinze to tables so one serves as a node's value of the other. Let me show you wnat I suggested by an example.

First table has such values:

-A

|-B

|-C

and the second one is

-x

|-y

|-z

-p

|-r

|-s

I thought you wanted to confine relationships between them so fo B node be able to select only x's branch and for C - only p's branch. If it's similar to the truth then let's create another table with two fields. Field one points to table containing capital letters and field two - lower case letters. Both fields are of type lookup pointing to an hierachial tables. Now when you populate this table you'll create records like (I list two columns):

B - y

B - z

C - r

C - s

from your orinal table from now you should point to the above table. So instead of having two fields each pointing to its own table and compeling you to think how to organize two hierarchies, now you have only one field pointing to a table with all valid combinations. When you populate this table though YOU have to decide what such combinations are. It may make sense (if you have different users) to restrict access to this table on read-only level for regular users to preserve the valid combinations.

Hope it helps but if I understood your wrong give a concrete example.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roman,

To elaborate more I am giving you an example,

I have groups and companies. A company is always a leaf node for a group, with group having many companies as as child. A group further can be a child node of another group.To design this scenario I need a help.

Thanks,

Suvarna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suvarna,

Please can you describe better what it is you are trying to do? What do you mean when you say that "one table should work as a node for another table"?

In the example you give, you can create a hierarchical table called "Consolidation Groups".

Now create another hierarchical table called "Entity". A field in the "Entity" table can be a lookup to the "Consolidation Groups" table.

Now in the Main Table add a field which is a lookup field to the "Entity" table.

Hope this helps.

Walter

Former Member
0 Kudos

One option would be to create a third table having two fields pointing to two your tables. Then you can populate this table with all valid combinations and refer it from the main table.

If you want to point to the two tables directly from the main table then there is no way to specify which combinations are valid.