cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archiving Customers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can you please tell how to carry out customer archiving?

Attempted to carry out using F56A /sara.

But after selecting 'Archive Selection' ,it did not show the data to be deleted.

Thanks,

Kanishka.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kanishka,

You can use transaction SARA (Data Archiving).

Data Archiving removes from the database application data from closed business transactions that are no longer relevant for the operational business. The archived data is stored in archive files that can be accessed by the system in read-only mode.

Step 1: Creating (the First) Archive Files

In step one, the write program creates an archive file. The data to be archived is then read from the database and is written to the archive file in the background. This process continues until one of following three events occurs:

1. All the data is written to an archive file

2. Archiving is not complete, but the archive file reaches the maximum size specified in archiving object-specific Customizing

3. The archiving is not yet finished, but the archive file contains the maximum number of data objects specified in Customizing.

If event 2 or 3 occurs, then archive management continues with the delete step (assuming that the following indicators are marked in archiving object-specific Customizing: Start Automatically and Delete Before Storage).

Step 2: Storing Archive Files

Once the write program has finished creating archive files, these can be stored.

Step 3: Running Delete Programs

After closing the first archive file, Archive Administration creates a new archive file and continues with the write process. If the settings were made accordingly in archiving-object-specific Customizing (see Settings for the Delete Program), a delete program is started automatically in parallel for the previously created archive file, to read the data in the archive file and then delete it from the database. This procedure guarantees that only data that has been correctly saved in the archive file is deleted from the database.

Archiving object for Customer master is FI_ACCRECV

Reward points pls.

Regards,

Govind.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for all the responses.

But i was not able to carry out the deletion.

These are the exact steps that i carried out. I created a new customer, and marked for deletion. ( This customer does not have any dependent SO's etc )

Then, went to SARA, and selected Object FI_ACCRECV.

Then carried out actions Preperation and Archive. (ony for SD data and General master records) went to action Delete, but the Archive Selection did not contain any data to be archived.

In archive-object-specific customizing, the following settings were made: "Start Automatic" and "Delete before storage."

Appriciate any feedback regarding this.

Thanks,

Kanishka

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Do you see any incomplete archiving session in SARA-Management for FI_ACCRECV?

Check the archiving/write program variant to see if you are running in 'Test mode' or 'Production mode' ?

Check the archiving job log and spool to see if any data has been archived at all?

Cheers!

Samanjay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks Samanjay, i will check those out.

But i did not see any incomplete archiving sessions and the archiving job log shows as Finished.

The archiving/write program varient is the varient specified under customizing; that's 'TestSessvarient' and 'Prod.session varient' is it? (The values specified for those fields are TEST and PRODUCTIVE)

And in a scenario where there are sales orders for that specific customer, will the sales orders have to be deleted before archiving customers?

Thanks a lot,

Kanishka

Former Member
0 Kudos

Since you do not see any incomplete archiving session there are 2 possibilities

1. No data was archived for the input you provided. The values you provided in the variant for archiving job do not contain any archivable data and/or the radio button "Test mode" is selected

2. As per the application specific customization the delete job is started automatically and hence the data has been archived and deleted.

In both these cases you will see that a new archive session is listed in the Completed Archiving Sessions list. In the first case you will not find any archive files listed inside the particular archive session subtree whereas in the second case you will find 1 or more archive files. Check your system and see if you find any archive files for the archive session.

Further see this <a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp2005vp/helpdata/en/29/b6963457889b37e10000009b38f83b/frameset.htm">link</a> for details on the checks performed by FI_ACCRECV archiving program

Cheers!

Samanjay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback,

I changed the customization settings so that its 'After Event' and specified the event as 'SAP_ARCHIVING_WRITE_FINISHED' i hope this is correct.

And the sequnce was same , that's 'Delete before stoarage'.

With these settings i tried archiving a customer, and a new archiving session was listed under Completed archiving sessions list. I selected that job, and the Job log stated that;

"The last created archive file without data objects was deleted" -The last created archive file contains no data objects on account of the selection criteria and was therefore deleted. (Message no. BA 219)

• In this case, does the selection criteria refer to variant attributes under Archive?

(Attributes of the varient created for Archive) I choose Customer and General Master records as Required Fields.

• And you have specified to check if "Test Mode" is selected.

Is this the field appearing in the "Delete" section? ( I did not select that any way)

Thanks.

Kanishka

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

There was no need for you to change the customization setting for delete job. I suggest you change it back to "Start Automatically".

Selection criteria refer to values you provided in the archiving variant. Job log suggests that no data was archived for the variant you specified for the archiving job. Check the values you provided in the variant.

Also check the spool for the archiving job to see if you can find any info.

The "test mode" radio button is available in the archiving variant screen under "Processing options"

Cheers!

Samanjay

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Manoj_Mahajan78
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Kanishka,

Archiving removes mass data that the system no longer needs online, but which must still be accessible at a later date if required, from the database.

Done usually in 3 steps-

creating (the First) Archive Files

Storing Archive Files

Running Delete Programs

so through these 3 steps the archiving is done.

also please find the link below elaborating on data archiving

http://www.thespot4sap.com/Articles/Archiving.asp

http://www.thespot4sap.com/Articles/SAP_Data_Archiving_ADK_ArchiveLink.asp

http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_02/helpdata/en/93/51b75f9e0811d1a55e0000e82deaaa/frameset.htm

REWARD IF THIS IS HELPFUL TO YOU..

Regds

MM

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

Archiving Master data is a completed activity simply because before you can remove a master record you need to remove all the references to that record.

Before you can archive PM_EQUI you will need to archive all the dependents objects. There are about 20 object which are dependent on PM_EQUI. Refer TA: SARA for list of dependents objects. In simple terms before you can archive a Equipment, you will need to archive all the notifications, orders, purchase requisitions, financial documents etc which have a relation to that equipment.

So I suggest you make a analysis and see if you really need to archive euipment master data..

normally it could be around 3 months to 6 months activity.

Archiving removes mass data that the system no longer needs online, but which must still be accessible at a later date if required, from the database.

Done usually in 3 steps

creating (the First) Archive Files

Storing Archive Files

Running Delete Programs

so through these 3 steps the archiving is done.

http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_02/helpdata/en/93/51b75f9e0811d1a55e0000e82deaaa/frameset.htm

Please Reward If Really Helpful,

Thanks and Regards,

Sateesh.Kandula

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

SAP Data Archiving involves 2 steps. The first step is run Write Job and the next step is to run the Delete Job. Only the data which has been written to archive file via Write program can be deleted using the Delete program.

In your case it seems that either you have not run the Write job or you write job has not created any archive files (ie not archived any data) and hence you are not able to see any archive session in the 'Archive Selection'.

Run the write job and archive some data. After this you will be able to see the archive session in the 'Archive Selection'.

Hope this helps

Cheers!

Samanjay

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
ravi_kumar100
Active Contributor
0 Kudos