cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between NW7 & NW AS, Java EE 5 Edition

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have NetWeaver 7(2004s) on my systems.

However, i need some Java job schedulling. Does NW7 provide any job schedulling functionality?

On searching on SDN, i came across SAP NetWeaver Application Server, Java EE 5 Edition : https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/downloads?rid=/library/uuid/da699d27-0b01-0010-99b0-f11458f31ef2

<b>Is there any difference between these two Application Servers? Where can i get some documentation which will give me some informations about the comparision between the two?</b>

Regards,

Hanoz

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

SAP NetWeaver Application Server, Java EE 5 Edition is the smaller version of the Java Server to make it more convenient for developers to do their work.

It switch off parts of the server you're not using.

Go through this blog for better understanding:

/people/benny.schaich-lebek/blog/2007/09/04/the-smallest-possible-netweaver-java-server

Vijay Kothapalli

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am afraid that is not the main difference. As you can see from the name Java EE 5 Edition supports the latest Java EE 5 standard and is somewhat newer edition, while NW 7.0 (2004s) supports J2EE 1.3.

There are several differences and new features, you may want to check

and the FAQs there.

One of the differences that may be interesting to you is that the NW AS, Java EE 5 Edition comes with a build-in job scheduler. However at least I am not aware for that specific feature to be downported.

HTH

Peter

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Isn´t that the Redwood Cronacle, that also runs on 1.4.2?

http://service.sap.com/process-scheduling

We have a version here (Cronacle Basic v8) that runs on top of a NW 7.0 stack.

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

No, I was referring to a part of the Java EE 5 Edition server, not additional software. I wasn't even aware about Redwood Cronacle, with so large portfolio it's hard to be aware of all the possibilities.

Btw, the initial post is about java job scheduling, while the link you have provided is about ABAP, or maybe there are java possibilities as well, but just the documentation is not updated ?

Peter

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

We don't have actually any necessity to schedule Java jobs but it should be possible:

[...]

As of the next major release of SAP NetWeaver also AS Java jobs can be scheduled free-of-charge with this new SAP NetWeaver-deployed basic version

[...]

And the Powerpoint slides (in Media Library - Overview Presentation) states:

[...]

Cross-component Java

scheduling based on JXBP

(as of SAP NW 2007)

[...]

So - whatever "Netweaver 2007" is smile, it will be able to schedule them too.

--

Markus