cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my view taking so long to display?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a view which is taking an incredibly long time to display.

When I monitor wdDoModifyView I see that this function is executed very quickly. What takes ages is the time between the end of this function, and actually seeing something on the screen.

Any ideas what may be causing this? Has anyone had a similar problem?

Walter

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

guru_subramanianb
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kahn,

There are no of reason for this.One possible solution may be check your connectivity from ur machine to ur server.Check your web dispatcher connectivity with your server also which takes carew of load balancing.

Can u say wht r u exactly doing in ur webdynpro domodify() method so I can exactly get the scenario.

Rdgs,

G

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks to all answers I have received so far. After further investigation the problem seems to be that on FIRST call to the application, the initial window takes a long time to display (several seconds). I created an extremely simple WebDynpro application, one view with a piece of text.

Once the WebDynpro application is running it is fast, but if I click refresh in the web browser, the application reloads (as expected) but is again very slow until it displays the screen.

I am using Netweaver SP12. Has anyone else had a similar problem? In SP9 the application loaded almost instantaneously.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is your application running in the Enterprise Portal? Perhaps there is a problem with authentification/user management.

Armin

Former Member
0 Kudos

The application is running as a standalone application (not in a portal).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

My assumption is apart from how webdynpro renders the view etc etc...performace may depends upon the different services running on your machine and other many parameter.

Regards, Anilkumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Walter,

wdDoModifyView is only a hook method that allows you to dynamically change UI. So if you keep it simple (or empty) the method returns quickly.

The next phase (right after wdDoModifyView) is rendering UI controls to some client-specific format (say, HTML + JavaScript for browser). So the possible reasons for bad performance are:

1. You have very complex UI. Rare case, but if you have several thousands controls, then you can imagine time required to process them and the size of output

2. More realistic: during rendering of UI validation of context node occurs. So necessary supply functions are called. If this require remote call (JCo, WebService, etc) then performance penalty is significant.

If the reason is [2] then:

1. Try to avoid totaly exposed trees or tree tables

2. Split UI on several tabs of multi-step views (a-la wizard): only visible controls cause validation of related context.

3. Place related portions of UI into collapsed trays: "only visible is validated" rule works here as well.

VS