cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Integrated ITS in a Separate App Server (DI) for Security and LoadBalancing

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I have a specific requirement for ITS Configuration.

1. Production Server ( CI + DB ) -> Existing

[ ERP6.0 ]

DB : oracle 10.2.0.2

H/W: PRIMEPOWER650

Unicode Enabled

2. Application Server ( DI ) --> to be made ( and to be used exclusively for Web users)

H/W: RX200 S3

x64

MEM: 8GB

No. 1 is existing Production Server Environment.

The Customer Requirement.

The Customer wants to use the ITS . But he doesn't want the existing Production Server to be disturbed for the same for 2 reasons. [ Security and Load Balancing ]

We are planning to create a Separate Application Server (DI) to work as ITS.

As the Kernel is 700. The ITS is integrated into the Production Server by Default.

We have written to SAP and have asked whether the Production Server ITS can be disabled and the Separate DI's ITS be enabled so that the NEW ( No.2 ) Application Server will be used for ITS activities.

SAP has replied saying the Integrated ITS cannot be disabled at the Production Server. Instead as an alternative we can create a Logon Group (using transaction SMLG) and divert all the Web users to the Separated DI (No.2). We have decided to go according to SAP.

Now I have the following questions :

1. The Operating Systems of the Production Server (No.1) and the Separate AP (No. 2)

are different. ( Are there any complexities involved or must do points to be taken care. )

2. Brief / MUST DO tasks at the Production Server Environment and Must do tasks at the DI Environment.

I hope someone has already done some few installations on the above combination, if so, request to please share me your ideas.

Thanks in anticipation

Best Regards,

Paguras

PS :

my earlier discussion on the same topic on this community.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> 1. The Operating Systems of the Production Server

> (No.1) and the Separate AP (No. 2)

> are different. ( Are there any complexities involved

> or must do points to be taken care. )

You will need to make sure, both systems run the same kernel version, means, you need to patch them at the same time.

Additionally there may be problems when up-/downloading files, a SPARC CPU is BigEndian whereas x64 (x86_64 or AMD) is little endian.

> 2. Brief / MUST DO tasks at the Production Server

> Environment and Must do tasks at the DI Environment.

Nothing special beside the fact, that adding a second operating system add complexity.

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

Thanks for the Reply.

We have the following 2 plans :

Plan-01.

-

As you have advised, we will try to disable ITS of CI and enable ITS of DI.

Plan-02.

-

If Plan-01 could be worked out successfully, well implement as per SAP suggests. Creating a Logon Group and divert all the web users to the DI alone.

To deactivate ITS on CI, you have mentioned to make sure, that the system does not listen on the HTTP port (transaction SMICM) on the Servers

BTW, I have seen a parameter called <b>ITSP/ENABLE</b>. if we deactivate this parameter at CI & DB and then activate the same parameter at DI.

My questions to you :

1. Shall we go for Plan-01 ignoring what SAP OSS has said. ?

2. Disable ITSP/Enable Parameter -> CI & DB

Enable ITSP/Enable Parameter -> DI has to be implemented .

Thanks & best Regards,

Paguras

PS: Sorry for always pounding you with so many questions on the same topic.

SAP Help on ITSP / enable parameter

itsp/enable

You use this parameter to deactivate (0) or activate (1) the integrated ITS. Even if the integrated ITS is activated, it only accesses system resources when it is actually used. Nevertheless, it can make sense to deactivate it to prevent users from accessing the SAP system with SAP GUI for HTML via special application servers (such as batch or update instances). Since the conversion of SAP screens into HTML pages uses additional CPU time, it makes sense to reserve a number of dedicated application servers to be used with SAP GUI for HTML and to use a special logon group to balance the load between them.