Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation Framework using eCATT

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Third party tools like QTP provide automation frameworks

and required scripting support to enhance it.Please let me know if automation framework is feasible with eCATT. Is there any automation framework readily available with eCATT?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

AjayHS
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Pallavi,

There is no standards defined for automation of scripts/scenarios using eCATT you can define your own approach.

However the best practice is to define independent reusable scripts.

Thanks,

Aj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pallavi,

I am not sure what you mean by Automation Framework. Could you please describe this term?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Automation framework represents coded form of test cases.In Mercury QuickTestPro(QTP) an excel can be maintained to manage navigations steps(Browser-Menu-Page../transaction..) so that if steps needs to be changed the relevant change can be done in excel and re-recordig can be avoided.Another excel maintains test data related to transactions. Related script can be written in VB script which will read the objects in transaction & realated data from these excels & perform tests.

Here is an example for the same from QTP:

-

-

Examples:

There are 2 different Excel files coming with the script.

The first one ("Book2.xls") is performing some actions on the flight application

(note that you still must start the flight application manually before running the test).

The results of the verification statements will be written into the Excel sheet.

The other sheet ("Book3.xls") is showing that when the application is being re-written towards

a web interface, but with similar functionality, you can still re-use the existing test

scripts (or a big part of it). You only need to modify the "Object Map" sheet so that the

logical names refer to the right web objects. It is here that I see an extremely big added

value in this framework. Imagine this ROI... Testers will be lots of times faster in

modifying their test scripts (in a certain way this is not much more than modifying the

object map...). Compare this to the development effort of re-writing the application...

To run the examples, you will need to make sure the initialization parameters in the script

are set correct. Mind that the second test file had an extra column to reflect the 3-level

hiërarchy (Browser.Page.OtherObjects). Therefor, you will need to modify the obj_col_testsheet

parameter in the script towards 2!! Depending on the Excel sheet you supply to the script,

you should be able to test the windows flight application, as well as the web version,

with the same script!! Using this object-based framework, non-technical testers will be

able to create their "test scripts" in Excel and they can be executed automatically...

-

-

In eCATT provision is there to create VB script for recorded transaction. Please let me know if similar framework can be done with eCATT.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ben,

Here is the desription for your query..

Automation framework represents coded form of test cases.In Mercury QuickTestPro(QTP) an excel can be maintained to manage navigations steps(Browser-Menu-Page../transaction..) so that if steps needs to be changed the relevant change can be done in excel and re-recordig can be avoided.Another excel maintains test data related to transactions. Related script can be written in VB script which will read the objects in transaction & realated data from these excels & perform tests.

Here is an example for the same from QTP:

-

-

Examples:

There are 2 different Excel files coming with the script.

The first one ("Book2.xls") is performing some actions on the flight application

(note that you still must start the flight application manually before running the test).

The results of the verification statements will be written into the Excel sheet.

The other sheet ("Book3.xls") is showing that when the application is being re-written towards

a web interface, but with similar functionality, you can still re-use the existing test

scripts (or a big part of it). You only need to modify the "Object Map" sheet so that the

logical names refer to the right web objects. It is here that I see an extremely big added

value in this framework. Imagine this ROI... Testers will be lots of times faster in

modifying their test scripts (in a certain way this is not much more than modifying the

object map...). Compare this to the development effort of re-writing the application...

To run the examples, you will need to make sure the initialization parameters in the script

are set correct. Mind that the second test file had an extra column to reflect the 3-level

hiërarchy (Browser.Page.OtherObjects). Therefor, you will need to modify the obj_col_testsheet

parameter in the script towards 2!! Depending on the Excel sheet you supply to the script,

you should be able to test the windows flight application, as well as the web version,

with the same script!! Using this object-based framework, non-technical testers will be

able to create their "test scripts" in Excel and they can be executed automatically...

-

-

In eCATT provision is there to create VB script for recorded transaction. Please let me know if similar framework can be done with eCATT.

--Pallavi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Pallavi,

eCATT is working with it's own script language to provide flexibility to the script developer.

Flow logic is coded with eCATT script command.

Automation of different interfaces is provided by eCATT drivers and special commands for each driver (e.g. WEBDYNPRO, WEBSERVICE, SAPGUI, FUN, TCD ).

Test data binding as well as system landscape abstraction is provided by storage of the data in a seperate object and plugin these to the script via so called test configuration.

Best regards

Jens

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi I am shivaram, working for syntel limited "www.syntelinc.com". while surfing the net i could find an interesting discussion about QTP framework. we are in a process of developing framework in our organization on QTP. your discussion on providing navigation details of application through the excel sheet was interesting. could you please help me out by providing some details on how to implement using excel sheet on QTP would be very valuable. I would Appreciate your response to this. Thank you in advance