cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle crash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Help me or I die!

Maybe my subject is catchy, but my situation is very serious...

When my collegue had started the whole offline backup after about 15 seconds I'd restarted server for technical reason (anyway it's a long story).

There is a full offline backup which was made week ago. As I know, Oracle creates a redo+undo logs. What should I do? Should I use this logs with offline backup, or I can use only offline backup? I've never done backup, help me please.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

Adding to the questions from "Markus Döhr" I do not understand

- The problem

Is your system down? crashed? ...

For your description the problem is that the backup is +totally +useless. that is a big problem , but if you are only doing weekly backups then that is an even bigger problem

If only the "offline" backup has gone "bananas" then you should ask your colleague how he did it and do it again.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Fidel.

Yes, my system is down.

In my situation <i>useless backup</i> better <i>than nothing</i>

Can I use weekly backup + lately logs for backup my system? As I know, I can do this. Am I right?

Thank you for answer.

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

yes, you restore last full backup and apply offline redologs up to point-in-time or up to latest available log.

for docs, check

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

Follow Eric Advice, but if you are so "desesperate" you have to provide proper information.

I still do not know what was the error.

For your initial description I cannot see that your system is down ( perhaps other people can see that, but not me, I do not like to "GUESS", and most of my answers start "I assume that ... "

Still, you are doung only weekly backups, that is not very good for an important system.

I still do not know what the issue is, what errors you get ...

It could be possible that there is a better/faster solution that a restore, but without info, then that is the "solution"

Another note is that you have an "important" system but no OSS is set up for it, why.

If it is so important you want to ask help to SAP. They have a 24x7 service. In theory priority Very High is only for <i>production</i> down but if you specify a valid business impact ( and they are not busy with real production downs ) you can get hep from them.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

"Everything's allright"

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

We don´t know:

- which operating system

- which Oracle version

- which backup tool

I suggest, if this is a production SAP system, open an OSS call so people can look on your system and have a discussion with you to help you out of that situation.

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello, Markus.

OS - Windows 2003 Server Standart Edition SP1

Oracle - 10.2

Backup tool - Brtools (writes on local disk)

Sorry, I didn't say, the system is not a production, but it's very important (The local project works on it). An OSS wasn't setuped.

Thank you for reply.