cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fast growing tablespaces

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

The following tablespaces are consuming max free space.

PSAPBTABD : 50% of the total space aquired 77.5 GB

PSAPBTABI : 38.5 GB

PSAPCLUD : 15 GB

85 % of total space is consumed by these tablespaces.

Tables with max growth of increasing are :

BSIS, RFBLG, ACCTIT, ACCTCR, MSEG, RSEG etc.

Average increase of 2GB space per month.

Kindly help me to find out the solution.

Regards,

Praveen Merugu

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

Which DB version are you using?

If you are usig oracle 9i or higher version, you can make use of the ASSM feature and online reorg features.

To avoid drastic growth of the table space, check the no.of extends reached by the top 5 tables in each table space and if possible change the next extend size of the top 5 objects. You can reduce the size of the next extend size of these objects to avoid drastic growth at DB level.

In production environment it is normal that these 3 tablse spaces grow very fast. So you need to plan for your yearly archiving and perform a DB reorg to gain the space after archiving.

It is a best practice to design a archiving and reorg plan every year once your DB size reaches 500 GB.

Discuss with your FI consultants and design a yearly archiving plan for example FI_Document, EC_PCA_ITM, CO_CCTR_EP and other FI related archiving objects.

regards,

Vinodh.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Vinodh,

Can you please give me some information on how to Archive SAP data. Till now i have not performed this activity.

If you help on this it would be very greatful.

Waiting for your reply further.

Regards,

Praveen Merugu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi praveen,

Greetings!

I am not sure whether you are a BASIS or Functional guy but, if you are BASIS then you can discuss with your functional team on selecting the archiving objects inline with your project. Normally, func consultants will have the knowledge of which archive object will delete entries from which tables... You can also search help.sap.com for identifying the archiving objects.

Once you identified the archiving objects, you need to discuss with your business heads and key users about your archiving plan. This is to fix the data retention period in the production system and to fix the archiving cycle for every year.

Once these been fixed, you can sit along with func guys to create varients for the identified archiving objects. Use SARA and archivie the concerned objects.

Initiating a archiving project is a time consuming task. It is better to start a seperate mini project to kick off the initial archiving plan. You can test the entire archiving phase in QA system by copying the PRD client.

The below summary will give you a idea to start the archiving project,

1. Identify the tables which grow rapidly and its module.

2. Identify the relevent archiving object which will delete the entries in rapidly growing table.

3. Prepare a archive server to store the archived data ( Get 3rd party archiving solution if possible). Remeber, the old data should be reterived from the archive server when ever the business needs it.

4. Finalise the archving cycle inline with your business need.

5.Archvie the objects using SARA.

6.Reorganize the DB after archiving.

Hope this will give some idea on archiving project.

regards,

VInodh.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

I think you should consider SAP Data Archiving. You need to do a database analysis to find the largest and fastest growing tables. Then you need to find the archive object corresponding to those tables. Target at least largest 5 archive object.

From the top tables u have mention i can tell you that you surely have archive FI documents (archive object FI_DOCUMNT) and Material documents (archive object MM_MATBEL)

Go to service.sap.com/ilm and checkout the Data Archiving section

Hope this helps

Cheers!

Samanjay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen

Looking at the tables, they are related to FI/CO modules. Look at SAP Note 178487 - High increase of table BSIS, RFBLG, it gives advice on how to restrict growth of these objects. You will need to get FI/CO functional team member involved in this activity.

Regards,

Nisch

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

Please provide total size of your database.

Normally SAP reccomends archiving if your database size exceeds beyond 500GB.

Regards,

Payal