cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to use WEBDAV instead of FTP

S0007726612
Explorer
0 Kudos

We would like to use the PI system also as a kind of FTP Server.

For Server to Server communication we will use FTPs.

In case users have to place files on the PI system (on dedicated directories) we would like to provide them a possibility to do this seemlessly and in a secure manner.

Therefore WEBDAV seems to be the right choice as this offers the https protocol and in addition in can be integrated with MS Explorer. So, users can easily drag & drop files.

But there are some concerns:

Is WEBDAV already available with a PI installation or do I have to install addtional usage types like KM or Portal?

Even if WEBDAV is part of the PI: how can I access these files later on with PI means? As far as I know WEBDAV is storing the information in the MIME repository which is a part of the database. Is there a way to store the data in the filesystem?

I know there also exists a WEBDAV solution for SAP DB but we are running Oracle.

Maybe there are better solutions than WEBDAV. FTP is no choice at all as we have to use a secure protocol. Ok I know, we could use FTPs but this can't be integrated into MS Explorer. You will need additional client software.

Any ideas & thoughts are welcome.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Klaus !

As far as I know, WEBDAV is not natively supported by XI/PI. You could use a Java Proxy server adapter, that is supported by XI, that consists of a java application that runs in the XI server that could receive messages from XI (coming from a ftp/file adapter or also from a java proxy client) and have the logic to "speak" the webdav protocol to the receiver repository.

Maybe using XI for this purpose will generate too much overhead.

Regards,

Matias.