Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rfc conn.: Connect to SAP gateway failed , edit: Group PUBLIC not found

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello!

I want to create a RFC connection.

In the "Connection and Transport"-Tab I fill out the fields: Target Host, System Number and System ID.

If I save the destination the fields Gateway-Host and Gateway-Service will be automatically filled out with the same input value of the Target Host field.

But there is no gateway for this system and if I ping the destination the following error message is shown:

Error during ping operation: Connect to SAP gateway
failed Connect_PM  TYPE=A ASHOST=sma82 SYSNR=01 
WHOST=sma82 GWSERV=sma82 PCS=1 LOCATION    CPIC (TCP/IP)
 on local host with Unicode ERROR       service sma82 
unknown TIME        Thu Sep 27 11:27:37 2007 RELEASE    
 710 COMPONENT   NI (network interface) VERSION     39 RC 
         -3 MODULE      nixxhsl.cpp LINE        643 DETAIL
      NiHsLGetServNo: service name cached as unknown 
COUNTER     6 

How can I handle this?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have 3 fileds to fill out:

Target Host, Gateway-Host and Gateway-Service.

In SAP R3 I go to System-->Status... and I have this information:

Host data:

Server name: sma82_TDE_01

Database:

Host: SMA82

How is the mapping?

p.s.

I make the changes...but still the same problem.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

After you logon to the SAP ECC server via SAPGUI, execute the Transaction SMGW , this will take you to the Gateway monitor screen for SAP ECC server.

There in you can check with the Gateway Server name and the service.

Regards,

Prem

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have attempted to configure the Destination with a co-worker who successfully configured a Destination to the same R/3-System but with SAP NetWeaver 2004s and not with SAP Netweaver CE 7.1 SR1.

He said that in his case he connects to the Message-Server so we activated “Load Balancing”.

The Message-Server will be found now but the Logon Group can’t be found:

Error during ping operation: Connect to message server host failed Connect_PM TYPE=B MSHOST=xxx.xxx.xxx GROUP=PUBLIC R3NAME=TDE MSSERV=sapmsTDE PCS=1 LOCATION CPIC (TCP/IP) on local host with Unicode ERROR <b>Group PUBLIC not found</b> TIME Tue Oct 02 12:28:09 2007 RELEASE 710 COMPONENT LG VERSION 5 RC -6 MODULE lgxx.c LINE 4392 DETAIL LgIGroupX COUNTER 15

But the Logon Group is PUBLIC! I checked it with SMLG.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Armin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Armin,

Please add an entry corresponding to PUBLIC in the /etc/services file of the SAP server where you are creating the RFC destination.That will solve the issue.

The entry will be like this

sapms<sid of the target system> 3601/tcp

Press enter after making this entry and then save.

Regards.

Ruchit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

is this the right way to get the port number for the service PUBLIC:

transaction: SMLG --> Message server status area --> double click on PUBLIC --> service = 3201

So I do the entry:

PUBLIC 3201/tcp

But still the same problem.

Regards,

Armin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Armin,

This is wrong. You dont have have to use public nor do you have to use dispatcher port for load balancing. You need to message port 36XX (3601 in ur case).

The setting has to be

sapms<SID of the system for which RFC destination is created> 3601.

Regards.

Ruchit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

with

sapmsTDE 3601

it doesn't work...

Same error:

Error during ping operation: Connect to message server host failed Connect_PM TYPE=B MSHOST=xxx.xxx.xxx GROUP=PUBLIC R3NAME=TDE MSSERV=sapmsTDE PCS=1 LOCATION CPIC (TCP/IP) on local host with Unicode ERROR <b>Group PUBLIC not found</b> TIME Tue Oct 02 15:40:30 2007 RELEASE 710 COMPONENT LG VERSION 5 RC -6 MODULE lgxx.c LINE 4392 DETAIL LgIGroupX COUNTER 29

Where can I find out the right port?

Regards,

Armin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Armin,

Are you able to login into the group PUBLIC using the GUI or atleast does it take you to logon screen.

Regards.

Ruchit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

how can I exactly login to the group PUBLIC? And with which GUI? With SAP Logon GUI?

Regards,

Armin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Armin,

Yes with SAP GUI. You need to configure the group PUBLIC in the GUI. Basically what we need to validate is whether this PUBLIC thing is á) exisiting and b) if existing then working or not.

Regards.

Ruchit Khushu.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

yes the group PUBLIC exists and are working.

But we have solved the problem on an other way...

We switched off "Load Balancing" as I descibed at the beginning of these thread.

We add the entry "sapgw01 3301/tcp" in the /etc/services file of the SAP server and now it works!

Regards,

Armin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Armin,

That would anyways work but what it means is that if you mutiple application servers then in this case only connection will happen to only one server and the other servers will not be utilized.

3301 is the gateway port and it will allow access to only 1 application server. This was you wont be able to optimize the resolurces and performance completely.

Any ways this your choice. I hope this would allow you to continue your work atleast ) Best of luck.

Regards.

Ruchiot.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I want to access some RFC modules which are available on a single R/3 system.

Is this possible with my configuration?

Regards,

Armin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Armin,

Yes it is possible as long as the RFC connection and logon is happening successfully. Load balancing is for performance purposes. You can access the other server without using load balancing as well.

I hope this solves the issue for you.

regards.

Ruchit.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Armin,

If there is no Gateway then why do want to insert values in the Gateway field. Keep it blank.

Even if that does not help you then please explain in detail about the RFC destination (where are you creating and to which system do tyou want to define it )

Regards,

Prem

Former Member
0 Kudos

I keep it blank, but the fields Gateway-Host and Gateway-Service will be automatically filled out with the same input value of the Target Host field.

I use SAP Netweaver CE 7.1 SR1 and I create in Configutaion Management->Infrastucture->Destinations.

The system I want to define it is a SAP ECC 6.0.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Armin,

If you are making an RFC destination from SAP NW CE 7.1 to SAP ECC 6.0 then you should enter the Gateway details of SAP ECC 6.0 .

i.e you should enter the hostname of the SAP ECC 6.0 server and the service sapgwXX (for exapmleif the sys number for SAP Ecc 6.0 is 00 then the gateway service will be sapgw00 and so on ...)

Please try this and test again.

Regards,

Prem

Former Member
0 Kudos

The System Number is 01, so I enter sapgw01 for Gateway-Host and Gateway-Service.

Now the following error is shown:

Error during ping operation: Connect to SAP gateway failed Connect_PM  TYPE=A
ASHOST=sma82 SYSNR=01 GWHOST=sapgw01 GWSERV=sapgw01 PCS=1
LOCATION    CPIC (TCP/IP) on local host with Unicode ERROR       hostname sapgw01
unknown TIME        Thu Sep 27 15:33:17 2007 RELEASE     710 COMPONENT   NI
(network interface) VERSION     39 RC          -2 MODULE      ninti.c LINE        895
DETAIL      NiPGetHostByName: sapgw01 not found SYSTEM CALL getaddrinfo
COUNTER     20 

But do I realy have to enter a gateway although there is no gateway for this system?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Armin,

You have made incorrect entry for the Gateway Host - it should not be sapgw01.

Here you have to enter the hostname for your SAP ECC server.

And in Gateway service you have to enter sapgw01. that' o.k.

Make the changes and test again.

Regards,

Prem

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Armin,

Change the host for the ip address... if that works you'll need to add the target system details into the host file.

Regards

Juan

Please reward with points if helpful

Former Member
0 Kudos

I still attempt with the ip, but I have the same problem.

If I save the destination the fields Gateway-Host and Gateway-Service will be automatically filled out with the same input value of the Target Host field. In this case with the ip.

What do you mean with: "...if that you need to add the target system details into the host file."?