Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Oracle Home vs One Oracle Home Multiple Database

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

I'm confused on the above.

May I know what's the difference between the two?

If I want to install two systems (ERP, Solution Manager) on a single server on windows using same oracle version 10g, which would be the preferred way, <b>method 1</b>: <b>multiple oracle home</b> OR <b>method 2</b>: <b>one oracle home multiple database</b>?

Any guidelines?

Thank you.

xinlin

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Xinlin,

You can use any of the two methods, but it depends on your requirement.

If you use one oracle home running two instances, any maintainance tasks done on the oracle home will need both the instances to be shutdown. In Unix enviroment the general practise is to keep oracle_home dedicated to a SAP system. It also allows you to move the systems more easily, rather then having any dependencies. The downside is that it will need more system resources to maintain 2 oracle installations.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Nisch

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nisch,

Is SID equal to oracle home?

If multiple oracle home, does that mean that there will be 2 SIDs, eg. E01 for ERP and S01 for Solution Manager?

If one oracle home multiple database, does that mean that there will be 1 SID, eg. E01 refer to both ERP and Solution Manager?

When you mention 2 oracle installations, do you mean that I have to install the oracle software twice?

Pls correct me if i am wrong.

Thanks.

xinlin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Xinlin,

Find answers to your questions:

Is SID equal to oracle home?

>No, database SID or DBID is for a database instance. A single oracle home can have multiple instances with different SID's

If multiple oracle home, does that mean that there will be 2 SIDs, eg. E01 for ERP and S01 for Solution Manager?

> Yes, if the setup is of multiple oracle homes, then each can have a instance with its own SID.

If one oracle home multiple database, does that mean that there will be 1 SID, eg. E01 refer to both ERP and Solution Manager?

>No, Oracle home does not correspond to a SID. This will be true if you are having MCOD database setup, where you can have multiple SAP systems use a single database.

When you mention 2 oracle installations, do you mean that I have to install the oracle software twice?

> Yes, two Oracle Homes, in short Oracle Home corresponds to Oracle software installation directory.

Hope this helps. Reward points if its useful.

Cheers,

Nisch

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If I use multiple oracle home, may i know how to set the oracle_home and oracle_SID environment variable?

Do I require multiple listeners as well?

regards,

xinlin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Xinlin

Why do you want you go for one shared oracle home? Nobody in the SAP world does this (but everybody in the Oracle world does it :-).

<b>If I use multiple oracle home, may i know how to set the oracle_home and oracle_SID environment variable?</b>

If you have a system called E01 and a system called S01, then you would need:

ERP: ORACLE_HOME=/oracle/E01/102_64; ORACLE_SID=E01

SOL: ORACLE_HOME=/oracle/S01/102_64; ORACLE_SID=S01

Of course you have to install 10g db software twice.

<b>Do I require multiple listeners as well?</b>

You don't need to, but it is quite common to have seperate listeners in the SAP world.

Regards

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Xinlin,

During oracle installation, you have a choice of choosing Oracle Home. If you have installed Oracle already and performing a 2nd install, it shows you the earlier Oracle home by default. You have the choice of changing it before continuing with the install.

If you are using two seperate installations, it will be good to use seperate listeners for every instance as they will exist in their own oracle home.

Cheers,

Nisch

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

choose this option: multiple oracle home

this way, if you upgrade Oracle, you can upgrade one system at a time.

Answers (0)