cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing SM21 retention time

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, I've noticed that my system log SM21 only displays entries for the past two days. How/where can I change this setting and what is the recommended to keep?

My rslg/max_diskspace/local parameter is set at the default of 500000 bytes. I cannot believe that my syslog is filling 500 MB up every 2 days.

Is there some kind of standard job that is running that does this?

I would definitely like to see more than 2 days in SM21.

Thanks for you help!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Julie,

it is not possible to define a "retention time" for the syslog, indeed only the number of syslog records can be influenced by increasing the size of the syslog file (by the parameter you already mentioned).

At the end of list in sm21 you will find a small statistics about the number of records read and how many records were suppressed. You should have a look at this statistics if really all records are displayed. Maybe the situation described in <a href="http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/48325">note 48325</a> occurs in your system.

Regards, Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Thanks for the info. You are right in that several records were suppressed. When I changed my sm21 layout in accordance with Note 48325, I did see that all suppressed records were then displayed. However, it still only went back 2 days. Any ideas? Thanks Julie

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Julie,

maybe it would be worth a look why all the syslog entries were written? After eliminating the reason of the syslog entries you should be able decrease the amount of messages within a day.

Regards, Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, The problem seems to be fixed. Not sure how or why, but it must have been related to another problem I was having. With this other problem, there were several entries for the following in the SM21 system log:

The System's Time Zone Cannot be Determined. Enter it Using STZAC.

When this was corrected via transaction STZAC on Sep-30-2007, the system log stopped being truncated.

I do not believe there were enough entries for the system log to be filling up, but fixing the time zone error message seemed to fix the system log truncation problem too.

Thank you all for your assistance.

Cheers, Julie

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

peter_strauss
Participant
0 Kudos

This thread is ancient history, but I noticed something odd in the question.

>My rslg/max_diskspace/local parameter is set at the default of 500000 bytes.

>I cannot believe that my syslog is filling 500 MB up every 2 days

500000 bytes is 500 kilobytes, not 500 MB.

I guess you were getting enough time zone errors to fill this relatively small file in two days.

When that problem was resolved you were able to store a little more information.

On the kernel 721 system in front of me the default is 1000000 bytes. Still only 1MB.

The system is quite stable and this size of file gives us about 2 months worth of system logs.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Check the TSL* tables for the system and check any background jobs is deleting the enteries in these tables

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Thanks for your response. I didn't see any retention settings in the TSL* tables. I am suspicious of the standard job SAP_REORG_JOBS (Program RSBTCDEL). This job is running without a variant so I am wondering if there is some kind of default.

Not sure if this standard job has anything to do with deleting system log entries though.

I have scheduled a test job with a variant to see if this fixes the problem. Thanks Julie

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Setting a variant for the standard job SAP_REORG_JOBS (Program RSBTCDEL) did not work. Does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks Julie