cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracks

0 Kudos

Hello,

I need to know the best practice to define tracks.

Should I define one track for one product version or should I define a track for each software component?

Thanks and Regards,

René

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

arun_srinivasan
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Refer this Best practices blogs

Best Practices for Running the NWDI

/people/guenter.schiele/blog/2005/12/21/best-practices-for-running-the-nwdi

Best Practices for NWDI: Track design for ongoing development

/people/marion.schlotte/blog/2006/03/30/best-practices-for-nwdi-track-design-for-ongoing-development

Regards,

Arun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

just one more blog that may be helpful here: /people/guenter.schiele/blog/2005/12/21/best-practices-for-running-the-nwdi

But as David already pointed out: It's not really easy to find the best practice. There are several approaches that might be equally good or may depend on what your developers are already familiar with. Maybe it's more important to know some pitfalls that should be avoided, but I haven't seen much documentation in that direction either.

Regards,

Marc

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rene,

Take a look at this link..It might help

<a href="/people/manohar.sreekanth/blog/2005/09/21/best-practicesjdi-branching-patterns-use-cases:///people/manohar.sreekanth/blog/2005/09/21/best-practicesjdi-branching-patterns-use-cases

Akshatha

Former Member
0 Kudos

When we were starting out we read this and several other blogs/articles about track connections, branching patterns, etc.

Honestly, my feeling was that all of these missed a huge issue. As I've been using SAP more and more I've gotten more of an appreciation for the complexity of what they've built with NWDS, NWDI, etc. However, they still don't have a good answer for something that we were looking for and that I think ANY develolpment team needs.

We have many production applications. At any one time, we may have several apps in various stages of enhancement work. If any of those have a production problem we need a way of making a change to the production code without including the enhancement code.

Simple thing, right!?! Well, we had a heck of a time convincing SAP (still not sure that we got them convinced) that this is a real-life situation.

Anyway, we ended up solving this by having a "maintenance" track that contains the copy of production code and a "development" track that contains the code currently being modified for enhancement work.

When new code is transported to production from the "development" track we automatically forward it to the maintenance track so that we always have a copy of the code currently in production.

This may be too much info but I want to help out because I remember how incredibly frustrating it was to get up to speed with this stuff.

Good luck!

David.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Rene. I don't know if there IS a best practice. When we started migrating from WebSphere to Netweaver we struggled a lot with the whole Track/Software Component/DC concept.

We had several different SAP consultants on-site and we talked to various other companies but we never really got a 'best practices' answer.

So after reviewing the options we decided to create a separate track for each software component. It seemed to make sense but we quickly found issues with that process.

When we upgraded our NWDI we decided to put all the software components for our custom development in one track. For SAP's code (i.e. ESS/MSS) we are using a different track.

I'll be glad to give you more details but I don't want to bore you unless you're interested. If you are let me know and I'll elaborate.

David