Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Java Flavor???

former_member445996
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I want to go on Java training as my next assignment requires application development using Web Dynpro and IView development using Java. I wanted to get your output as to which training course will be the best to go for. Should I go for regular Java or Java server pages(JSP) or the Enterprise Java beans(EJB). Can someone recommend anything and tell me which flavor of java is used with Web Dynpro and which one is used with Java IView development?

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

First and foremost, you need to be able to write basic Java programs and understand the core concepts of Java programming - both the syntax, and issues such as object oriented programming. If you are coming from another object oriented background, such as C++ or C-Sharp, you shouldn't have too many problems getting started with Java.

Once you have the basic Java skills, I thoroughly recommend the SAP Webdynpro course (JA310 or JA311 - they are basically the same course), and buying the SAP Press book - "Inside Web Dynpro for Java".

From my personal experience (I come from a JSP background, and have recently started using WebDynpro), you need absolutely no prior knowlege of JSP (or any similar technology) in order to understand and work with WebDynpro. WebDynpro uses a completely different programming paradigm to the classic JSP/Struts paradigm. The UI portion of WebDynpro involves defining abstract UI components which are rendered on the back-end application server to produce relevant output for the requesting client. For example, if the requesting client is a web browser, the server will produce HTML. The concept of building a page using server-side custom tags (such as in JSP) does not exist in WebDynpro, and neither can you write your own HTML.

As for EJB's: writing EJB's is a topic unto itself, but not too difficult to learn once you have a good understanding of Java programming. If you simply want to use an EJB that someone else has written, this is not very difficult and requires no special knowlege beyond learning how to instantiate an instance of an EJB, which can be learnt in a very short time.

Hope all this will help you decide where to go next...

Walter

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anurag,

For Web Dynpro you should know the following

1. Core Java i.e. Javaasa language

2. Model View Controller Approach to Application Development

3. Basics of Servlet and JSP

4. Learn how to study and understand Java API Documentation

5. Basics EJB, JDBC etc because you need to do the business programming also along with Web Dynpro

For Java iView Development:

1. Core Java

2. JSP & Servlet

3. How to use Tag Libraries (not howto create)

4. MVC Architecture

5. JDBC Programming

Ithink withthese basic topics you can start your learning. After this your knowledge will grow as per the requirement comes.

Regards,

Shubhadip

pravesh_verma
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Aurang,

After a long time?? Well I feel that Java, JSP, servlet training is good at this point of time. Once you get the feel of Java language it will be easy for you to understand the EJB. In Web Dynpro also it will be better that you know the concepts of Java, JSP. Specifically I am talking about Java. How does classes interact with each other. How is the API's used in the Java. All these things will be helpful.

Once you know this you can work on Web Dynpro easily.

I hope this helps you.

Regards

Pravesh

PS: Please consider awarding points.